TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Picture jumps from clear to fuzzy ever few seconds, Vizio…

Picture jumps from clear...

Picture jumps from clear to fuzzy ever few seconds

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Vizio about 5 years

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu works and yes same problem on all sources inputs

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Vizio? What happened right before this?

Nothing that I know. It started maybe 4 or 5 months ago

3/17/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Please try to get the model number off the back of the tv. If not:
-what size is the screen?
-is it LED or LCD or Plasma or?

M501d-A2R

Can you tell me about everything you have/use with this tv?

-built in apps

-antenna

-satellite

-dvd

-surround sound

-etc

Built in apps. Cable box. And sometimes Xbox or playstatin

The SAME issue happens when using the built in apps?

Ues

Is that a YES?

it is

Have you tried a RESET ALL in the HELP menu?

No I have not

Are you with the tv right now, please try that to see if it helps and let me know.

I don’t see help as an option in the menu

Look for SUPPORT or SYSTEM ?

Ok I found restore to factory settings. And I did send the model number. M501d-a2r. And it is still doing it

Please try this:
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-wait 3 full minutes then plug in the tv power cord and turn on.

REPLY back here and tell me what happens.

Ok turning on now
Still doing it

Can you tell me about your electronics experience? For example:

-none/very little

-capable plugging in a tv, source devices, sound systems

-proficient with testing/repair (give examples)

I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (previous electronics experience is required on your part). Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop. In home repairs start at $250 on this model and most shops charge just for diagnosis. So you may want to compare that to prices of new 50" tv's.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Pretty much what I figured. Thought I would at least try this before buying a new tv. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. Apologies for confirming the bad news.

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician