TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The tv wont turn on. Directly to an outlet. Right now the…

The tv wont turn...

The tv wont turn on

Technician's Assistant: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Directly to an outlet

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes, right now the back is removed, I have replaced the X & Y main, power board and logic board

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

The logic board is slowly blinking

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tv is a Samsung PN51D7000
3/17/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. I need the part numbers on all the parts you've installed. Have you taken any voltage measurements to narrow this down?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dan thanks for helping out.
I've installed the following:
LJ41-09427A Y Main
LJ41-09390A Logic Board
BN44-00446A Power Board
LJ41-09426A X Main
I tested the Y Sustain? (Left side to screen) using the 2 contacts and as described on several videos and the resistance was extremely high as people said it should be so no short. Tested a few things on the Power Board but honestly I'd love to start from the beginning as if I handed you the TV. I have a Multimeter and alligator clips/wire to connect anything that's needed. Also the P/N on the Main Board is not the same as I've been seeing from other information online and I bought the TV new, never had any issues until now. See attached photos
20180317_161058.jpg2018031...jpg20180317_161022.jpg2018031...jpg20180317_161016.jpg2018031...jpg20180317_160957.jpg2018031...jpg20180317_160949.jpg2018031...jpg

Did you check vital signs? Need to know Vs, Va, Vsc, & Ve. Preferably in that order.

Note, everything inside needs to be connected.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, might take a little time, watching a 2 year old and cooking. He was asleep earlier when I was online. Now while we're discussing that, I wasn't sure how to because the board i have doesn't resemble everything I've found online. I'll send a picture shortly and you could tell me exactly where to test

No rush in responding. I've got kids running around, too. Vs and Va will be test points on the power supply. Vsc and Ve will be on the sustain boards.

That Vsc picture isn't one of yours, because I couldn't see your test point from the angle of your photo. It's a stock photo of the LJ41-09427A Y Main. The other pictures are your pictures.

Yep Ve is on the Xmain. Vsc is on the Ymain.

So ground your meter to chassis ground, then use the red lead to measure each of the voltages I mentioned one at a time. You might need to put yours leads in place, then watch the meter closely as you try to turn the TV on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I measured:
Vs=0.41v
Va=0v
Vsc=0v
Ve=0.81v
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I try turning it on absolutely nothing happens

OK so all zeroes. Are you sure the meter is working? Try measuring a 9V battery to be sure....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just tested a 18650 Li-ion at 3.78v

And are you positive that every connector inside is secure? Also the TV is plugged into a working outlet?

If so, double check the AC input to the board. There's a 2-prong connector in the lower left corner. Set your meter to AC and make sure it's 115 going to the board....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Definitely plugged in, appears everything is connected securely. The logic board green led is slowly blinking, 3 seconds off, 5 seconds on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
120v to the board

And the fuse right above that connector, not blown?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ordered the power supply from shop Jimmy and just installed it 3 hours ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it's not

OK, something is holding all those voltages down simultaneously. It sounds like your Vs or Va line is shorted. When that happens on your model, the power supply shuts down entirely.

Disconnect the power cord, then set your meter to resistance. Check the Y & X main connectors for shorts to ground.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just check Vs to ground on the connector? Might be a little, had to return to watching the 2yo.

Yep check Vs to ground with the power cord disconnected.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked Vs, around 14k ohms, D15V (#5 on connection) and Va both were around 7k ohms

OK. The power on sequence for your TV is as follows....measure each one and confirm they happen properly:

1. 5V standby. This is on the power supply... probably CN801 depending on the board version. This should be there whenever the TV is connected to a working outlet.

2. PS_ON also on that connector. It should be 3.3V before you press power and should drop to 0V when you press power.

3. VS_ON usually on CN802. Responds opposite from PS_ON (0V and then jumps to 3.3V when you power on).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You available to call? I can do either way, probably be easier on the phone and I'm free at the moment

I can't, sorry.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not a problem, as far as Standby, do I need to have the meter connected when I plug it in?

Nope. Connect the power cord, then measure.

For the other two, you'll want to put leads in place first then watch the meter as you press power.

PS_ON should be 3.3V and then drop to 0V when you press power. Is that what it's doing?

For VS_ON, yea CN802 is fine. It should be a 0V and the jump to 3.3V when you press power.

If PS_ON is not starting at 3.3V and then dropping to 0V, then you have a defective main board.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing happens when I push power, the light blinks but that's it. VS-ON is at 0v before and after. Now if I disconnect the power, disconnect the main from the PS will PS-ON go back to 3.3v?

I'm not sure what you're asking. When you have an active 5V standby line, you should also have an active 3.3V on the PS_ON pin. If you don't have that 3.3V, you have a bad main board.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From reading this troubleshooting manual it states on the PS will shutdown (like you mentioned) when there a problem with another board and somewhere else it was mentioned if your disconnected a faulty board the voltage would come back to where it should be

Eh, not always. Often times, especially in the time span this TV was made, Samsung was using power supplies that would shut down whenever a board was disconnected from it. So it's impossible to tell if the PS shuts down because you disconnected a board or because there was a problem with it. Even then, you've already replaced the PS, logic, and both main sustain boards X & Y. The only other board that could cause this is the main board, and that diagnosis makes sense considering the PS_ON readings you're seeing. If this was my TV, I would replace the main board at this point.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I'll order the Main board and let you know if it works. Now on the main board, I did see on shop Jimmy they didn't have one but found on the avs forum people mentioned the 8000 TV main board works fine in place of it, you think that's true? In case I can find that and not the 7000 board from mine.

What does the barcode on your main board say? BN......

OK that's a BN94-04689A. The only suitable substitutes that Samsung lists are the BN94-04689B and BN94-04689C.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll see if I can find one and order it

OK. Let me know if I can do anything else.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do, thanks!

You're welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dan,The main board didn't fix the tv
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I disconnect the Y Main from the power supply, plug it in while checking the Vs and Va they spike to their full level (207v and, 58v) then drop out to 0v. But when Y mains connected and the X main is disconnected and I plug the TV in, Vs and Va don't come up.

That's very strange. I've gone back over our whole conversation and I can't see what we're missing, so I have opted out. That will open your question to the other experts here. If someone feels they can help, they will respond here in this thread and you'll get a notification.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ahhh Dan I was thinking we may may find the solution now. Thanks for helping out though and going over it.