TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Sharp lc-26dv24u, which was on cable, worked fine…

I have a Sharp...

I have a Sharp lc-26dv24u , which was on cable, worked fine then cable company added more he channel and I rescanned. Tv is on cable anti scan in the channels only scans in the two analog channelsalog and I can't get it changed to cable digital?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your LC-26DV24U?

Six years old maybe

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Tv menu works and input shows five inputs 0 I'd tv, 1 thru 4 is DTV t but it won't let me scan into the DTV inputs

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your LC-26DV24U? What happened right before this?

Cable provider updated the service to add more hdtv channels then we needed to rescann, haven't been able to rescann any digital stations since. About a month ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Just need to know if it will scan or what I need to do. Have large Panasonic which I did rescann and it worked okay

3/17/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me who provides your cable service?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dish at Venture Out in Mesa AZ

So you are using a cable feed from the community, just basic coax into the tv?
There is not a dish box connected directly to the tv?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no box, cable feed from central community

Thanks for confirming,

Set the input mode to TV,

then go into the sharp menu under the channels section,

set the input type there to Cable (not air/antenna) and then run the scan again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I scanned only two analog channels came up, the local community’s channel and the old channel station menu. No digital stations

You need to make sure the input type is specifically set to cable.

If that still does not pick anything up, then it is an issue with the tv itself.

This is an older model, from 2009, it is about 3 times its service life at this point, and the digital tuner has likely failed at this point just from normal age related breakdown, or is simply not compatible with the new signal format that they are broadcasting, which is common with older sets.

So if the scan finds nothing new with those settings in place, the next step would be to factory reset the tv in the menu and try once more. If still no change, it would confirm a hardware or compatibility issue. At that point you'd be looking at either replacing the tv with a new model, or connecting an external tuner box instead. I can recommend options for either if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is set to cable but comes up as cable analog although the other four inputs say DTV. This input only says TV. It is input zero, next four are DTV. Yes it could be the set doesn’t handle the new input unless there is a way to change input zero to DTV?

There is not, that dtv setting is for broadcast/antenna channels which are digital, not for cable channels which are a different type of signal

At this point replacing the tv probably makes the most sense, it is at the age where it would be expected to die entirely anyway at any time now.

If you'd rather go with a box though, which would cost much less, get one of these: http://amzn.to/2GD40BD

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Nathan. I was coming to that conclusion also. Just I love this little tv . Has only about 500 hours on it. But this size is pretty cheap. Again appreciate the analysis and recommendations.

You're very welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer