TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have a Samsung tv that i established from a previous chat…

We have a Samsung...

We have a Samsung tv that i established from a previous chat on here that we needed a technician to come look at it. It's a hardware issue. Who do i call to set up an appointment for someone to come look at it. The tv is less than 2 years old.

Technician's Assistant: What Samsung model do you have? How old is it?

Its hanging on the wall, its going to take me a few minutes to get it but we have had it for about 22 months

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

It actually doesn't do anything other than the word Samsung scrolls across the screen

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?

Nothing happened before this, we actually just replaced the tv after this happened, its been a few months ago. the new one is sitting in front of this one on the mantel, lol. We have a special needs son with autism whom is an adult and we couldn't wait for it to get repaired at the time. He is away for a couple weeks on vacation with a friend of ours and would like to see if it can be repaired before throwing it out.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing else

3/16/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

I don't see any prior questions/cases open under your profile here, but I can certainly help you with this.

Can you tell me the model number of the tv?

i did not have a prior question on here, only on Samsung support, at the time when it initially happed i wasn't able to go any further because my Autistic son was having meltdown over the tv not working. i will get you the model number but it will take me a few minutes because that one is on the wall over our fireplace and the new one is in front of it sitting on the mantel. Please give me a few minutes, lol

Okay thank you for clarifying. The model is on a sticker on the back of the tv, take your time.

model number is *****

Thank you,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2015 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising either. These tvs are built for a service life of only 5 years, but often have board/electronics failures before that.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range and be better off in the long run.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

thanks for the info, i will try it and see, we have actually already replaced it but wanted to make sure it couldn't be fixed at reasonable rate before throwing it out.

You're very welcome.

It is always possible to fix, but I would not consider it worthwhile. As a general rule when it is at about half the serve life or past, or for a screen size under 70 inches, they usually aren't worth it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

thanks! it actually worked

Great! That is the best possible outcome then, glad that did the trick for you!

Thanks again, have a great night!

My pleasure

Nathan, Installer