TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We've got an Insignia model NS-19D in our kitchen, and we…

Customer Question
Hi -- We've got...

Hi -- We've got an Insignia model NS-19D in our kitchen, and we would love to shut off the voice confirmation on volume and on/off. How do we do It?

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your NS-19D connected tightly to the right sockets?

I can check. Would that do it?

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

It's hdmi to a cable box, and it was a little loose.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
3/16/2018
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 3 months ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent, pay per question support website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help

- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of the TV?

Thw Insignia model number is ***** 16-A. The character O in this number may be a zero -- it's impossible to tell.
Are you working on an answer?

Yes, I'm working on it

Fine. I'll wait.

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to the TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

The TV is connected to a cable box. We use this TV for television programming only, delivered by our cable provider.

OK, following troubleshooting step should be tried that might help
- Have you tried to disconnect TV and cable box power cords from the power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

I'll do it.

Thanks

OK, I've unplugged the TV and cable box and left them unplugged for 10 minutes. I'e plugged them back in, and they work. The TV is on and playing its cable input.
Now what?

Change the volume level, do you get the voice announcement now?

OK, what cable service you have there?

The company is Blue Ridge Cable, a division of Pencor.

OK, it seems that voice is coming from the cable box connected to the TV, can you get me the model number written on that cable box?

The voice is coming from the TV, not the cable box.

This is not a Smart TV but lets do a test to verify if the sound is being generated within TV or not

Turn Off the cable box power, now use TV remote to change volume, do you still get that voice?

The cable box is unplugged and the voice is still coming -- from the TV.

Thanks for the info, please use Insignia remote and go to Menu then Settings then Accessibility and turn Off Voice Guide

Please reply back with the result

The menu does not give me the choice of "settings" or "accessibility." The list includes Audio language, clocks setup, closed captioning, HDMI setup, remote control and "system."

This is odd, let me opt out to repost this question for other techs to assist you further

Thanks

Someone will respond?
TV Technician: Eldon, Technician replied 3 months ago
Eldon
Eldon, Technician

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Are you using the cable remote?
Does it happen also when using the insignia remote or the volume buttons on the side of the tv?

I'm using the Insignia remote. Yes, the voice activates when I use the volume buttons on the side of the TV.

Thank you for checking,

this would be a tv issue then, not a box issue.

That is unusual simply because these insignias are very low quality basic tvs and generally have no accessibility features of any kind.

What we will need to do at this point is go into the insignia menu,

under Help, then to Reset to Default.

You'll be prompted after the reset to go through the initial setup steps again, and it should work normally after that.

Let me know what happens, please.

I'm aware this a cheapo TV. I've explored every option on the menu, and there is no "help" option. The insignia remote has "setup" button, but it doesn't function -- it has no function since I first installed the TV. Any ideas on how to return Setup?
Thanks. We just solved the problem. Ending the chat.

You're welcome, glad that worked for you.