TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I shut my TV off and three minutes later it comes on by

Customer Question
I shut my TV...

I shut my TV off and three minutes later it comes on by itself

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Vizio E50 D1

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Everything works just that when I shut it off three minutes later it comes on I've disconnected everything except the cable box and it still comes on I just replace the cable box it's not the cable box it's the TV

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your E50? What happened right before this?

This started after the snow storm we had Tuesday where we had some power outages at the time but everything is connected into a surge protector

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
TV Technician: technicalcat, Technician replied 4 months ago
technicalcat
technicalcat, Technician

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. This is an independent, fee-based technical support site.

My name is ***** ***** I will help you now.

Have you tried disconnecting the cable box? What I'd like you to try is to disconnect all the HDMI cables going into the TV. See if the TV still turns on with ALL HDMI cables disconnected. Let me know results of that.

NOTE: To reply to me, please type your message in the box below and click the button to send.

the TV comes on by itself with everything

Really? hmm :) Interesting problem there. What exactly do you see on your screen before and after this happens?

Do you have any remote control extenders or other IR/remote system installed? If so, I'd like you to power those down. I'd also like you to put any remotes you do have in another room, so they can't turn the TV on or off.

1) Unplug the TV from power (plug strip or wall socket)

2) Wait at least 30 seconds, plug back in, and power on. What do you see on TV? What input (if any) shows?

3) Turn off TV using button on TV itself (not remote control). Tell me what happens here. Does the light on TV change color when TV goes to standby?

4) When it turns back on, what input is showing (if any)?