TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Not much right now its now turning on, but its sort of

Not much right now...

Not much right now its now turning on, but its sort of "blinking" im not sure if thats helpful. its liek someone is turning it on and off real fast

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Its a smsung, hang o i gotta go find the model #

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

UN40h

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?

5203

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

It just started about 20 minutes ago, has never done that in the past, the wife was just watching tv

3/16/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the model number from the back of the tv, please?

hi. it is un40h5023
a samsung

Thank you

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is just about at the end of its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

thanks much, we will try
You’re very welcome and best of luck to you!
Nathan, Installer