TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My SAMSUNG model PN58A550S1F emits a high pitch squeal and a…

My SAMSUNG model PN58A550S1F...

My SAMSUNG model PN58A550S1F emits a high pitch squeal and a snowy screen when it is turned on. This repeatedly occurs about 3 times before the pictures clears and it then operates as normal.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your PN58A550S1F?

Yes.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Wait... there was an outage some weeks ago.

3/15/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Appears site sent you a phone call offer. I did not send the offer.
I am not available by phone, but another expert may be.
In the mean time we can continue our chat.....

Do you currently have access to the tv so you can try something?

Have you had complaints about the Samsung TV as I described online?

Sure... Do you currently have access to the tv so you can try something?

I am near the tv

Please try this:
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-wait 3 full minutes then plug in the tv power cord and try to turn on.

REPLY back here and tell me what happens.

Ok

Thanks

Still the same problem.
Was hoping 5hat would solve it!

Can you tell me about your electronics experience? For example:

-none/very little

-comfortable setting up tv, source devices, sound systems

-proficient with testing/repair (give examples)

Because, I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires complex diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (depends on your previous electronics experience). Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop. In home repairs start at $250 on this model and most shops charge just for diagnosis, so it is worth having the tv looked at.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Did you get the message I just posted?

Are you going to DIY or need information on a local repair shop?

I do want you to be satisfied, so do you need something more?

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
stevenl1469
Phone call session started
Mike, thank you for your advice. I don't feel comfortable with opening up the TV and replacing Electronics. I have set up sound systems and electronic devices and computer systems. But I have no testing gear to test electronic components. I think I'm going to call local shop to have them check look at it. So it seems you think that it's something internal electronic component? I disconnected all the inputs except for the leaf antenna.

Yes, sorry it is an internal hardware failure.

Okay! Thanks. I just got a phone call and talk to a guy who said I should try and pull the back off and replace the boards. I've worked on computers but never a TV and so I'm going to give that a try.he said you can get boards online, and eBay for less than 100 bucks. I'm all in for that, what do you think?

Your tv has at least 4 major boards inside. It requires complex diagnosis to figure out which board to get, or you can just buy all the boards and keep trying until one works.