TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 50" Plasma Zenith TV that I purchased in February,

I have a 50"...

I have a 50" Plasma Zenith TV that I purchased in February, 2012. From time to time, the picture will darken for a minute or 2, and then return to the original brightness. This has actually been happening for several years, but is becoming more frequent. Should I consider repair or replacement of my TV? Thank you.(Model # Z50PT320)

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Z50PT320?

It was purchased in February, 2012. Just over 6 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I don't use many other sources, so I can't say it's happening on any other device. I'm pretty sure the TV menu works.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Z50PT320? What happened right before this?

It's actually done this for the past 3-4 years, but seems to be occurring more frequently the last month.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

3/15/2018
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , my name is Jack
Perhaps i can help you with this but first ;

Please send me a hello when you see this so i know you are available ?

Hello ?

Hello
No, e-mail will be fine. Thanks

Sorry but i was out by the time you replied

If you received a $26 phone offer or any offers they are automated by the website ,NOT BY ME and WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE , I`m an independent tech. and have NO CONTROL over those, they are optional and you can just ignore them if you don`t want it .

Let me know when you see this ?

I'm here, Jack

OK then

Have you tried to manipulate the "intelligent sensor " functions like turning it off ?

I have turned it off, and even completely shut down all of the power. I'm really not sure what an intelligent sensor is.

OK but you do know it is there is the picture menu , correct ?

That sensor is supposed to adjust the screen brightness according to the room light level , like daytime/night time

When it goes defective or does not work properly it will have the effect you have now and we are talking about a main board here

This should have been looked at while it was still under warranty , at this point replacing the main board in this tv will cost you approx. 3/4 of the price of a new 50" model

So to answer that question " Should I consider repair or replacement of my TV? "

At some $300 for the repair and buying a new tv of the same size for around $400 , i`d say your money would be better invested in a new one

Let me know if you have questions and if not for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post while it gets me paid for my time helping you .

That's what I was thin*****, *****. At 6+ years, I really can't complain. I'm probably going to replace it. Obviously, Plasma has left the building, so I'll look into an LED replacement. Do you, yourself, lean toward a particular brand I should look into?

Totell you frankly it is getting harder to specify a brand as they share parts , for example a sony tv may have samsung part or panel in it

It would be easier for me to tell you the popular brands to avoid , like Sharp , RCA and Vizio or any obscure brand , stay with other popular nrands and you are even across the line really and by the way , your zenith was made by LG

Take a look here for parts in your tv , its all LG

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=+Z50PT320

Jack
Jack, Technician
That's helpful, Jack. And I do realize my Zenith Became LG. Thanks for all your help, and I'll send a 5 star rating. Thanks again, Jack!

Thank you