TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a scepter 55 inch TV. The picture will go out after…

I have a scepter...

I have a scepter 55 inch TV. The picture will go out after getting black and white vertical lines.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your 55?

Ayear and a half, out of warranty.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu isn't there when it goes black, and it happens with any source.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your 55? What happened right before this?

I sent it to scepter in aug 17, they could not replicate the problem. Got it back worked fine until last month

3/15/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Technician

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty tcon board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Eldon

I've tried most of the resetting protocols, no luck. It is a shame because when it works it is the most incredible picture. It even outshines some of the more expensive TVs I had looked at. Thanks for you speedy reply. Matt.

You're very welcome, Matt

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Eldon

Eldon
Eldon, Technician