TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My screen works until we try to play a show or watch regular…

My screen works until...

My screen works until we try to play a show or watch regular tv. Then only 1/4 of the screen shows. The bottom half is gray and the upper right is streaked.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

I bought it in November for my husband for Christmas. It is a Samsung. Model code un65mu6290

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?

Just started this afternoon when we got home. It worked fine last night before we went to bed

3/15/2018
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent, pay per question support website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to the TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

DVD player and Direct TV box. Yes it happens on all sources
Hello?

OK, following troubleshooting step should be tried that might help
- Have you tried to disconnect TV and cable box power cords from the power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

Will try now. Will you be waiting for the 10 minutes?

Yes, please take your time, I'm standby

Ok. That seemed to have worked. Any idea why this happens though?

Excellent, glad to know the problem is resolved

This kind of problem mostly happens due to a glitch in the cable box signal processor chip.

If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website
Thank you

Our Blue Ray DVD didn't work either. This isn't connected to the Direct TV box

ah OK, then it would be TV internal software glitch that shrunk the picture size and rebooting the TV fixed it

Does this happen often? Should I expect this to continue? Wondering if I should return the Samsung TV

Rest assured, TV is just fine, current TVs has lots more complicated electronic circuitry and firmware/ internal software to keep it working, I hope it won't happen again, just in case it occurs then simply apply the solution you just tried to get it back in business

There is no need to worry about the TV, it is just fine

I hope this info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask

Thanks

Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Thank you! Have a good night.

Much welcome, have nice time~