TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have a Vizio TV that has always worked great. Today the…

Customer Question
Hi!, We have a...

Hi!, We have a Vizio TV that has always worked great. Today the audio is on , but after a few minutes the screen goes black.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Vizio TV?

My audio is great but after a few minutes the screen goes black.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No power outage that I know of and HDMI cables are seated completely.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

When I turn it off and back on I get a few more minutes and the picture is perfect .

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
3/14/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the model number of the tv, please?

When the screen goes black, can you still bring up the vizio menu screens at all?

D65u-D2. I cannot view anything when it goes black.
Thank you
No, I prefer not to switch to phone.
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an
internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control
board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a
manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event
(shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2015 model
tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some
of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain
price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected
to see them last just a year or two at best.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a
diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60
seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60
seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet,
bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an
internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need
to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back
panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly
desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and
labor.
For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a
fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $800 range.
I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.
My apologies for the news,
Followed all of your directions, no help. My daughter corrected the problem. Please cancel this service.

This was an initial step that I had asked you to try, and to respond back to me after so we could proceed further from there if needed.

I have no ability to cancel or refund anything.