TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

It will not turn on. Acts like it’s trying to but then the…

It will not turn...

It will not turn on. Acts like it’s trying to but then the tv just turns off after the philips logo shows on the screen. After trying many times it came on. There was sound but no picture. Turned it off and will not turn on. Don’t know if it matters but we have direct tv

Technician's Assistant: Is your Philips TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

I think someone did earlier today but I can try again

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Don’t think so

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent, pay per question support website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help

- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of the TV?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
55pfl4901/f7

OK, any idea how old is the TV and how long it has had this problem?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve had it almost 2 years. Did this once last week but after a few tries it came on

OK, following troubleshooting step should be tried that might help
- Have you tried to disconnect TV and cable box power cords from the power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cable box is on but tv did exact same thing

OK, working on it, get back to you in few minutes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unplugged from surge thing and just plugged into the outlet. The power light is on but no sound or picture

Unfortunately, it is the TV firmware related issue and mostly it occurs due to failing EEPROM chip mounted on the mainboard, this chip stores TV firmware data so because of the failing EEPROM chip the mainboard doesn't boot up, it needs to replace the mainboard of the TV to resolve the problem, sorry for this news

Please click the following link to view the mainboard image and part number info if you're looking to attempt to repair the TV yourself

http://www.shopjimmy.com/philips-a5drgmma-001-digital-main-board-for-55pfl4901-f7-ds6-serial.htm

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use the following link to get a list of TV repair shops in the area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
http://www.tvrepairman.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue
I trust my input will help you out to make the decision about this TV repair or invest that money in new replacement TV
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website
Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The sound came on. Makes no difference? We r going to need a new tv?

Did you get my previous replies where I gave all the info about the TV problem, how to get it fixed

However, a new TV would be a better choice, I hope this info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website

Thanks

Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician