TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The Sony emblem at the botton lights up, and the standby…

The Sony emblem at...

The Sony emblem at the botton lights up, and the standby light is green and steady, but there is no picture or sound. I replaced the main board, but no change.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Sony TV?

It's a sony KDL40W5100

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No power outage prior to problem. Cable, HDMI, and Composit cables were attached.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it.

3/14/2018
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent, pay per question support website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help

- Could you please get me the complete part number of the board that is replaced in the TV?

Do not have the part number. It's the Main Board.
New one did not fix the issue, so I assume the original is ok.

OK, just to clarify, is the mainboard one where all video/ HDMI inputs are located?
Also, does the screen glow/ show backlight when turning TV power On?

Correct. Screen is black.

OK, have you tried to update TV firmware (having old mainboard on the TV)?

No
How would I do that with no visual menu on screen?

OK, please install old mainboard on the TV and go to following Sony link to download TV firmware file and proceed as per Sony instructions on that page

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=KDL40W5100&upd_id=8668&os_group_id=18

Just copy the firmware file on USB stick and plug it into USB port of the TV then turn On TV power, the firware update should begin itself, please reply back with the result

I assume any one of the USB ports... Nothing happened right away. Assume I need to leave it for a few minutes to wait on something to appear on screen.

Does the USB stick has an indicator light that blinks when exchange data on it?

Has a light but is not coming on.

OK, did you follow the Sony instructions to extract the firmware update file from downloaded file to copy it on USB stick? Copying the part of instructions from same Sony page

1. Download the sony_dtv_pkgaa0211pn.p09 file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference) on your computer.
  2. Format a compatible USB storage device the FAT32 file system and connect it to your computer.

Note: A USB storage device, such as a Sony® Micro Vault® device, or something similar, is required to perform the update. Sony is aware that not all USB storage devices are compatible with our TVs. If you are using a USB device for playback of photos, music, or videos on your TV, the same USB device type should work for the update. If the software update is not successful after following the instructions, you may need to format your device to the FAT32 file system, or use a different device. View formatting instructions.

3. Go to the directory where the file was downloaded, right-click on the sony_dtv_pkgaa0211pn.p09file and, from the menu, click Send To..., and then click the drive (EX: Removable Disk (E:)) that represents your USB device. The update file will be copied onto your USB device.
Formated to FAT and copied download to USB, but still not recognizing it. It is a scandisk

OK, what is the memory size of that stick?

8 GB

Do you have small size USB like 4GB or better 2GB, bu chance?

I do not.
Have an old (antique at this point) 128 MG.
that is 128 MB...
Worth getting a sony brand and trying again?

128MB would be fine if update file is not a big file

Will try it. Thanks

Thanks

Still not pulling data.

I'm out of ideas now, can you try the same process with the new mainboard on the TV now?

Will do. Thank you for your time and help.

Much welcome, please reply back with the result

Attempted data update with new main board and did get a different reaction. No indication that USB recognized, and when turned TV on, green on light came on and immediately turned off with red light blinking.

OK, how many times it is blinking? 5 times?

13

This error code is related to backlight system, please recheck the connectors to make sure all are plugged securely and tight

Was connection issue. It's working normal now! Thank you so much!

Excellent, glad to know the problem is resolved. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website
Thank you

Shahid
Shahid, Technician