TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Magnavox VCR/VHS player/recorder, and I think the…

I have a Magnavox...

I have a Magnavox VCR/VHS player/recorder, and I think the serial number is ***** When I got a new smart tv, the colored connectors no longer worked and someone told me I needed an HDMI cable. I bought one, but don't see a port on this machine. What can I do?

Technician's Assistant: What does your TV screen look like when you try to connect your ZV427MG9? Is there anything at all displayed?

Very grainy with lines thru it

Technician's Assistant: Is your ZV427MG9 connected to the TV, or is it connected to a power outlet?

It is now connected to a power outlet and to the cable box

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

??

3/14/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the model number of the new tv?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
SAmsung -- looking for the number
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model number UN50MU6300F
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there?

Thank you,

your player is too old to support hdmi,

you'll need to use the red/white/yellow cords from the OUT ports on the player

The tv has very limited inputs, and shares a set of component/composite ports. You'll need to connect the yellow cord to the Green port, and the red/white to the red/white (r/l audio) ports.

Then select the Composite/AV input mode on the samsung remote.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will this give me a clear picture and sound, or just the grainy one I now have?

The picture will still be grainy, that is inherent to vhs technology, and it will only look worse and worse as you get newer higher resolution tvs.

You can use the hdmi cable (port is on the back of the player at the top left corner) for the dvd function, and that will be better, but it won't do any good for vhs.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no HDMI cable port on the back of the player -- you already told me that! Also, the tv has blue and yellow inputs, no green.

What I said is that it is too old to support hdmi, which I meant specific to getting all the functions of the player to work. The port is there, on the opposite side of the other porst, at the top left corner (when facing the back of the player).

For vhs, you need to use the red/white/yellow ports.

The yellow cord goes to the port on the tv that is color coded yellow/green (shaded half and half), and marked with the letter Y.

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer