TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Our cable supplier converted to all digital. TV picture is…

Our cable supplier converted...

Our cable supplier converted to all digital. TV picture is blurry. Looks like it’s out of focus. I can’t find how to fix it

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

It’s an LG smart tv. Model #55UF6450-UA

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu works. Other this fine. Cable said it’s the tv aspect ratio

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your #55UF6450-UA? What happened right before this?

Since cable changed to digital on March 6th. Before that, it was fine

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/14/2018
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service

Hello and welcome! I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Since you've went all digital, the signal has changed and the TV Tuner has to be updated. I'd like to give you a few steps to resolve this issue if you are still online.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m here
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do I need to do.

I am having some issues locating the exact instructions for the model provided but we can do this without.

What we are going to do is to do a channel scan. It's typically located in your menu settings. Can I have you look for a TV Scan, Auto Scan, or TV Tuner? It may be under "Picture" or "TV" category.

Found it. It is under "Channels" in your menu settings.

Channels > Channel Tuning > Auto Tuning

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found it
But I did that yesterday after I reset tv

And the picture still doesn't come in clearly?

Cable is really a simple design. There's a few things to try that make the world of difference.

I have a few questions to help me understand the setup.

1. Do you have a cable splitter? https://www.amazon.com/Valley-2-Way-Cable-Splitter-Video/dp/B001X3MGFU It looks like this. Or does the cable come out of the wall into the converter box and then from the box to your TV?

2. Is there a VCR or device that is connected with the cable line? This might be a cable from the wall to the VCR to the box to the TV. There would be 3 cable lines.

Let's start there and we'll keep going based on your responses.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No and it just finished and picture still not good
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cable comes out of wall into cable box. No vcr attached. We have 2 TVs so there must be a splitter

Do you have a splitter on this outlet or is the TV in another room on another outlet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Other tv is fine

Interesting.

Back on your TV settings, under Channels, do you have anything that mentions Analog or Digital?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Splitter is from this tv and nothing about analog or digital

For testing purposes and not for long term (for the duration of this troubleshooting) would you be able to bypass that splitter and hook up the cable line directly from the outlet to the box and from the box to the TV? I'd like to see if you have a weak signal causing your issue.

The reason why for this annoying step is because digital signal is different than analog (what you had before). It requires more strength and will look horrible if it doesn't have that strength.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Splitter is under house. We were digital already but then cable went totally digital Tuesday. That’s when the picture got blurry. Cable said the boxes we had were ok and it was our tv and to call you.

Oh ok! Sorry, I thought you were saying it was at the outlet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There’s something in their signal that my tv does not like
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It used to be

To confirm the quality of the picture, it looks grainy/snowy or broken up tiles?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s out of focus. Grainy, maybe?

Grainy doesn't make much sense for a digital signal. I have another setting to try in your TV just to see. In my experience since you've done the channel scan, it's something physical at that outlet causing the grainy picture. You have another TV working which means you aren't having a signal issue to your whole house which is good. We're able to isolate to either as you've said, the TV or a loose connection at this outlet.

The next two things I'd like to have you try is this:

1. Check the connections. (I know! No one likes this step.) Unscrew the cable from the wall and flip the ends around to connect to the box and vice versa. Same thing with the cable from the box to the TV. Flip it around and make sure it is screwed in tight. Then try the channel scan again. If still grainy, let's go to step 2.

2. Access Channels > Channel Tuning > Manual Tuning. What does it show on this screen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The other end of the the cable is under the house and can’t get to it. Still, why would that screw up the day the signal changed?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Under manual tuning, Antenna tv, antenna dtv, cable dtv, cable tv.

Great. The main thing is a signal issue. So I understand how you setup currently is built. You don't have an outlet, it just comes out of the wall.

Manual Tuning. Choose Cable DTV.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, now whs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oops.what now.

Does it give you the option to scan for more channels?

If it was just a setting to select, go back to the auto scan and try it again. Maybe now it will pick up the digital channels.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It showed all channels that you have to add one by one

I wish I had a way to see your TV as you were following those steps but does it show a picture as you go through each channel to choose?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did something screwy and I have to see if I can get tv working again before we go further.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok got tv back. Manual tuning doesn’t show channels

Okay. Let's try another step. We've verified the settings on the TV and I know you've reset the TV before talking with me. So let's try this.

Can I have you unscrew the cable from your TV? Then auto scan again. Once that is completed, screw in the cable and unplug the power from the box for 1 minute. Then do the auto channel scan one last time. Let me know the result.

This final step will let me know which direction finally to lead you to.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Done but picture the same.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s out of focus kind of like how it looks when you look through binoculars before you adjust them to focus in

And by chance, adjusting the settings on the Picture category resolve that either?

Also, does your channel 3 look clear?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
First thing I tried was Picture to find the aspect ratio. Vivid seems the best. All channels are the same.

Is there anything else hooked up to this TV like a DVD player?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Like I said, before signal changed, tv was ok. Must be cable signal itself. It’s my husband’s tv and he doesn’t mind the picture.

You're completely right. You and I are on the same page 100%. What I wanted to do is to help you build a case if you were to call your cable provider to have them come out to look at it. I was going down the line of troubleshooting that they would ask you. I was going to end up saying I honestly believe the issue is in the cable signal with this new box. If it's not a loose connection (why I emphasized this earlier), then it's the box itself. The TV "could have" been an issue but we scanned for new channels and it worked prior. I just wanted to make sure we weren't leaving anything out for troubleshooting.

If you call them to come out to look at it, these are things you can have done already to tell them that you cannot get a picture:

1. If you can hook up a DVD player or some other device and the picture is clear, you can eliminate any picture settings on the TV that would cause the image you see.

2. You could swap the box in the other room to see if you get the same issue. Either move the "bad" box to the "good" box location and see if you get a better picture. This test determines if the box is bad or if it's the outlet in that room.

3. You can mention you've reset the TV and talked with a TV repair specialist that have looked over the TV settings and determined it wasn't a TV setting.

I gave some additional things to try. If you would like to try those, I can wait. If you want to leave it as is, before you go, do you mind giving me a quick rating on the top right (hopefully 5 stars!). It helps me receive credit for helping you today and I will also stay assigned to your question. If you decide to call the cable company, let me know what they say!

I also apologize for how long it took to troubleshoot. I was reading through the service manual for your TV to make sure I wasn't skipping any issues that could be adjusted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I feel we went through enough trouble shooting for now. Those other things may not change anything. I know, it’s been a long project but most time was spent on the channel scanning. Thank you for the help and I will definitely try and contact you to let you know what happens with cable company.

Okay! When you come back online to read over the troubleshooting suggestions, if you don't mind giving me a quick rating. That would help me a lot! You've been great to work with, Mary!

ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You wanted to know if I got my tv working. My nephew brought me an hdmi cable. Ta Da. Now it’s working like it should. It really was a pleasure talking with you.
Great! Thank you for letting me know.
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service