TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My Sony KDL-50W800B (I think that's right) will not turn on.

Customer Question
My Sony KDL-50W800B (I...

My Sony KDL-50W800B (I think that's right) will not turn on. The red LED at the bottom blinks red three times. I believe this is a result of a nearby lightning strike that sent a voltage spike up the power line.

Technician's Assistant: Is your KDL-50W800B connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Tragically no, just an old power board. I am uncertain if the fault is in the external transformer or onboard.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes, no joy (I looked up the PDF manual, but it doesn't say what three red blinks mean).

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That's about it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
3/14/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). This would be consistent with the recent lightening.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Here's the thing. I looked up the manual online (PDF), which says that the blinking light could mean a number of things depending on how many times the red light blinks. Didn't say any more than that. In my case, the LED at the bottom of the TV blinks three times, which presumably means something in particular, but I can't find any doco that reveals that.My television has an external power transformer (since Australian power mains has 240V 60Hz) . I'm wondering if the television is complaining about bad power input, in other words, the transformer took the brunt of the power spike and needs replacing, which would clearly be cheaper than repairs or a brand new television.Thanks, Ant.

Yes, it does have some meaning, as a general direction or starting point in a diagnostic process.

The power supply is the primary failure here, but not necessarily the only failure point.

At a minimum I'd expect the internal power supply would need to be replaced.
However, this tv truly is past its service life already, while fixing it would cost somewhat less than a new tv, it is still not a long term fix. Other parts will continue to fail and I would not expect the tv to last more than another year even after being replaced. For that reason, I would recommend replacing it rather than repairing it.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.