TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Sharp LC-32SB24U it keeps shutting off I unplugged…

I have a Sharp...

I have a Sharp LC-32SB24U it keeps shutting off I unplugged and plugged back in holding the Channel Down and Volume Up. It restarted, the picture went dark and the green light is solid

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your LC-32SB24U connected tightly to the right sockets?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

HDMI and RCA

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of

3/14/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand these symptoms point to a failure of the set's Mainboard and generally requires replacement of this part to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

I did it once, the tv powered on, stayed on for 15 seconds went dark, green light blinking
did it the second time, tv powered on, stayed on for 2 seconds went dark, green power light blinking
i'm ok with typing

Thanks for the reply and I'm not sending that phone offer. What displayed on the screen for those 15 seconds please- was it the Sharp logo? Also is the light blinking continuously, or in a pattern (for example: 2 slow blinks followed by 3 quick blinks, etc.)?

just the tv chanel displayed
the blinking is slow every 2seconds

Okay, that's bad news I'm afraid. Please give me a minute to type this up.

ok

Unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $30:

https://www.ebay.com/i/132330858019?chn=ps

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 32-37" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

no thank you

The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.

Aric, Technician