TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an Optoma EP 729. Several years old. The light blinks…

Hi. I have an...

Hi. I have an Optoma EP 729. Several years old. The green light blinks (standby mode?) then there’s a flash of light then the projector turns off. Someone said I need to connect it to a computer with the usb provided, which I can’t find, to perform an update. Does this sound rigjt? How to I order a replacement usb cord? I don’t see one listed in the contents list for the projector. Thx

Technician's Assistant: What Optoma model do you have? How old is it?

EP 729. About 7 years I should think. It’s for an art piece. It’s leobavly been on leas

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Lrss than 15 hours total.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Optoma? What happened right before this?

Nothing happened right before this. It worked properly until now. This happened the last time I tried to turn it on, about 2 days ago. I don’t see a TV menu. It’s hooked up to a DVD machine yo play the art piece (DVD) on a loop.

3/14/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. This is not related to an update. When was the lamp last replaced?

Never been replaced. But it’s only been on about 15-20 hours total in the entire time
I’ve had this. It’s for an art piece/DVD on a loop that I turn on for visitors.

The lamp inside these projectors do degrade with use, but interestingly, they also degrade with age. They are vacuum sealed and the gases inside can leak over time which causes the symptoms you're seeing. When something like this comes into the shop, the lamp gets replaced automatically if it's 2+ years old, regardless of use. At 7 years, it's definitely time to replace it.

you’re sure that’s why the green light is blinking? I thought there was an indicator for a light problem- Just
Want to be sure about that —

The green light blinks while the projector is firing up. If it never does, then there is a problem in the power on chain.....power supply board > DMD board > color wheel > DMD board again > lamp ballast > lamp.

It would be pretty rare, OK incredibly rare for anything in that chain to fail after 20 hours of use... except for the lamp which also degrade with age.

Ok I will get a new one. Unless
You think prices have come down such that I could probably get a new one for less than the cost of a replacement bulb.

Prices have come down dramatically. It wouldn't be cheaper than a new bulb, but it might be a better investment in the long run. At 7 years old, it is only a matter of time until other things start to fail.

Thank you!

You're welcome. Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.