TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I just purchased this tv. It's 2 years old, I don't

I just purchased this...

I just purchased this tv. It's 2 years old

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

I don't know...50L 1400U Toshiba

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The TV menu works. Problem is the tv, although having great picture and sound, starts blinking after about 4 minutes of being on. It does it every time I watch it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

It behaves like there is a governor or censor?

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/13/2018
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...Toshiba 50L1400U..."

Initially, would the "...starts blinking..." be to a screen that is all blue, black or white?

Ok. Just turned it on and everything good for approximately 4-5 minutes and than starts fairly rhythmic blinking

Yes on the phone call soon as the system has cleared the "Status: ... failure"
Can you please check on your end?
...and contact Customer Service?

I've tried to use 2 different credit cards that I know are in excellent standing and your system rejects them. I do not know how to contact customer service

I understand.

Still and as posted above, would the "...starts blinking..." be to a screen that is all blue, black or white?

Black
Every second
Sound continues uninterrupted

And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

• Have you tried unplugging for an extended period of time?
  • And then plugging back in but into a different outlet?
  • Perform a RESET back to factory defaults?
No on the unplugging. Yes on trying outlets. No on reset.
Unplugging now. How do you reset?

Yes please; try the unplugging.

Also consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you be comfortable to try: Please click / tap HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.

I just plugged it back in and it is back to blinking. I'll attempt a reset if you feel that's next. I'm not savvy obviously but I can't ruin it, can I?

No, no possible harm hardware wise.

And as posted above both an attempt of a fix and more importantly, as a test.

Ok. What's next than?

To RESET, please click / tap HERE.

Of course must be done before the TV starts blinking.

Ok. Switched tv off so it won't be blinking when I turn it back on. Now I'll tap instructions
Since I bought this from a private citizen could there be someone else's pin code causing this?

Unlikely.

It is more indicative of a potential hardware issue; auto-protect mode kicking in and/or intermittent supply voltage to the backlighting system particularly so if the sound is still there even when the blinking starts.

It's now scanning channels

And an update on the blinking when able please.

Not blinking. Slowly scanning channels
Back on auto tuning.
Started blinking again
Does not blink when switching to roku etc

Is the TV directly connected to an antenna or cable feed?
Or is there a cable box or even a satellite receiver?

No cable. Connected to antenna and apple tv

And the blinking is only when in TV/antenna mode?

(even if just for test purposes)

Have you tried / can you please try lowering/changing the settings of the brightness level?

...Dyna Light

...DNR

...Edge Enhancer

No. Blinks when on Apple tv as well. This blinking is every one second. Just now is not as often...now back to every second
Not related to light I'm sure.
Is blinking even on Apple tv menu

I understand.

Please try the lowering/changing the above settings.

The alternative would be as posted above, an internal hardware issue.

No change when adjusting settings.
Any clue on internal hardware issue?

Potential suspects:

• • LED strips (least likely);
  • • cold solder (likely);
  • • failing power supply LED Driver board (most likely).

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiarity with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

No I would have to have it repaired ��
Any clue on cost?
I'm assuming we have exhausted our efforts to fix problem.

Yes; all tests point to an internal hardware issue.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Please click/tap HERE and HERE. These would give us an idea of the most likely suspect replacement.

And click/tap HERE for accredited TV repair shops.

Select your state and/or key in your Zip Code.

Then click on the Submit button.

Thank you for your hard work.

Glad that the above information served your purpose and if you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating (3 to 5 stars) at the top of your page (scroll all the way up)

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to share the information.

Louie, Technician