TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I just purchased this tv. It's 2 years old, I don't

I just purchased this...

I just purchased this tv. It's 2 years old

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

I don't know...50L 1400U Toshiba

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The TV menu works. Problem is the tv, although having great picture and sound, starts blinking after about 4 minutes of being on. It does it every time I watch it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

It behaves like there is a governor or censor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/13/2018
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...Toshiba 50L1400U..."

Initially, would the "...starts blinking..." be to a screen that is all blue, black or white?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Just turned it on and everything good for approximately 4-5 minutes and than starts fairly rhythmic blinking

Yes on the phone call soon as the system has cleared the "Status: ... failure"
Can you please check on your end?
...and contact Customer Service?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've tried to use 2 different credit cards that I know are in excellent standing and your system rejects them. I do not know how to contact customer service

I understand.

Still and as posted above, would the "...starts blinking..." be to a screen that is all blue, black or white?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Black
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Every second
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sound continues uninterrupted

And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

• Have you tried unplugging for an extended period of time?
  • And then plugging back in but into a different outlet?
  • Perform a RESET back to factory defaults?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No on the unplugging. Yes on trying outlets. No on reset.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unplugging now. How do you reset?

Yes please; try the unplugging.

Also consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you be comfortable to try: Please click / tap HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just plugged it back in and it is back to blinking. I'll attempt a reset if you feel that's next. I'm not savvy obviously but I can't ruin it, can I?

No, no possible harm hardware wise.

And as posted above both an attempt of a fix and more importantly, as a test.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. What's next than?

To RESET, please click / tap HERE.

Of course must be done before the TV starts blinking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Switched tv off so it won't be blinking when I turn it back on. Now I'll tap instructions
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since I bought this from a private citizen could there be someone else's pin code causing this?

Unlikely.

It is more indicative of a potential hardware issue; auto-protect mode kicking in and/or intermittent supply voltage to the backlighting system particularly so if the sound is still there even when the blinking starts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's now scanning channels

And an update on the blinking when able please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not blinking. Slowly scanning channels
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Back on auto tuning.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Started blinking again
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does not blink when switching to roku etc

Is the TV directly connected to an antenna or cable feed?
Or is there a cable box or even a satellite receiver?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No cable. Connected to antenna and apple tv

And the blinking is only when in TV/antenna mode?

(even if just for test purposes)

Have you tried / can you please try lowering/changing the settings of the brightness level?

...Dyna Light

...DNR

...Edge Enhancer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Blinks when on Apple tv as well. This blinking is every one second. Just now is not as often...now back to every second
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not related to light I'm sure.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is blinking even on Apple tv menu

I understand.

Please try the lowering/changing the above settings.

The alternative would be as posted above, an internal hardware issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No change when adjusting settings.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any clue on internal hardware issue?

Potential suspects:

• • LED strips (least likely);
  • • cold solder (likely);
  • • failing power supply LED Driver board (most likely).

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiarity with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I would have to have it repaired ��
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any clue on cost?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm assuming we have exhausted our efforts to fix problem.

Yes; all tests point to an internal hardware issue.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Please click/tap HERE and HERE. These would give us an idea of the most likely suspect replacement.

And click/tap HERE for accredited TV repair shops.

Select your state and/or key in your Zip Code.

Then click on the Submit button.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your hard work.

Glad that the above information served your purpose and if you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating (3 to 5 stars) at the top of your page (scroll all the way up)

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to share the information.

Louie, Technician
Louie, Technician