TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My remote is not connecting with the box and can only turn…

My remote is not...

My remote is not connecting with the box and can only turn the tv on and off. Can't get a menu or any other capability

Technician's Assistant: What is the model of your TV?

Sony XBR - does that sound right

Technician's Assistant: What menu options can you access, if any?

None. I was trying to reinstate caller id and probably clicked on an incorrect choice, and now I can't get anything other than the History channel on or off.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's it; other than I am not very good with computers,

3/13/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Appears site sent you a phone call offer. I did not send the offer.
I am not available by phone, but another expert may be.
In the mean time we can continue our chat.....

First - Which remote are we talking about? The original remote that came with the tv? Or one that your cable/satellite company gave you? or some other universal remote?

I believe it's the one the satellite company gave us

At the top of the remote there might be "mode" buttons, like SAT, TV, AUX that light up when you press them. If you have those buttons, please press the SAT button to put the remote in SAT mode. Then see if the remote will work. Let me know.

No my remote does not have those options

How many SAT boxes do you have in your home?

I see that the remotes are from Directv, and we have 3 boxes

Do you know which of the three boxes is the "Master"? It might be the largest size box... Is this box the Master or another room?

I believe the main box is downstairs in the family room

Usually when this happens you need to RESET all the boxes in a certain order. So unplug the POWER cords for all three boxes, then plug in ONLY the "Master" box power cord and let it come on all the way, finally plug in the other two boxes power cords. Let me know what happens.

ok I'm downstairs and I'll try to find the power cord. This will take me a little while....

ok

is the master box all the way on when*****lites appear

Turn on that tv, look at the screen. Is there video/audio/guide? Can you change channels?

No says it's rebuilding schedule list

Please wait until it's done with that and you can actually get picture/sound from a channel and verify you can change channels.

ok this one is up and running

Great, now you can go plug in the other boxes and test them.

No the original tv still doesn't respond

You might have a defective box in that room. At this point you will need to contact Directv and they will tell you how to proceed or send one of their technicians to resolve it.

Do I call Customer Service or some other #

Directv(###) ###-####/p>

Thank you for your help

You're welcome. Would you like to show your appreciation by submitting a 3-5 star rating at the top of this page?

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
stevenl1469
Phone call session started