TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

It has a grey screen

It has a grey...

It has a grey screen

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No

3/13/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the brand and model number of the tv?
What is connected to it currently?

55pfl5402/f7f
PlayStation
Phillips
How is the PlayStation connected? Can you see the philips own menu sceeens at all?
No can't see anything

Thank you for checking,

if you can't see even the menu screens on the tv itself, that indicates an internal fault. When was the tv purchased?

December

okay that is the one bit of good news here, as this is symptomatic of an internal hardware failure.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; even after just a few months, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These philips tvs are at the lower end of the quality spectrum. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct. Luckily it is new enough that it should be under warranty, so you can call 888\744\5477 to file a warranty claim, and they will direct you to a repair shop where you can take it in to be fixed.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

I haven't tried it yet my husband was in the hospital will try it today

No problem, take your time. Hope your husband is doing well,

Nathan, Installer