TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My TV doesn't have a picture or sound, just a black screen.

Hello Pearl, my TV...

Hello Pearl, my TV doesn't have a picture or sound, just a black screen.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Not at the moment

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that's it. Thanks

3/13/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What is the model number off of the back of said TV, and how old is it please?

Hi Aric, the model number is ***** and I'm not sure how old it is. Is that listed on the TV?

Thank you, ***** ***** it's not listed- I'm just asking the "rough" age to find out if it's in warranty (under one year)?

No, I've had it 2 or 3 years.

Okay, if you use the original TV remote (not the cable remote) can you get the MENU to display?

No, the screen is black

Okay that indicates a fault in the TV. Is the power light on the TV indicating it's on, or are there no signs of life at all on the set?

The power light is on.

Okay, these symptoms point to a fault in the mainboard of the set- and generally requires repairs be made to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

Working on it

Okay.

It didn't work, I guess I'm going to have to have it serviced.

Okay, I'm sorry to hear that. Did the screen light up- or display anything- even for a second? Also is the power light indicating the TV is "ON" currently?

No, the screen didn't light up at all. Yes, the power light indicates the TV is on. Thanks

That's bad news and does indicate a failure of the set's Mainboard I'm afraid.

This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $85:

https://www.ebay.com/i/371519568012?chn=ps

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 46" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Thanks Aric for you help and I will give you a positive rating.

You're welcome and best of luck to you!

The rating stars are all of the way at the top of the page. Let me know if you're unable to find them.

Aric, Technician