TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

When I try to get HDMI1, it automatically skips to HDMI2. I…

When I try to...

When I try to get HDMI1, it automatically skips to HDMI2. I have switched my HDMI1 device to HDMI3, and it continues to insist on going to HDMI2

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your HDMI1?

Approximately 4 years.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I unplugged the TV, switched plugs, as mentioned before. This was all on the advice of my Direct TV provider. They tell me the problem is with the television

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I can’t think of anything else

3/13/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Technician

Hello and sorry to hear you are having trouble,

What is the brand and model number of the tv?

Panasonic Viera
Model #TC-L42ET5

Thank you,

please bring up the input list, then press Option on the remote,

this should give you a list of inputs, where you can label or "hide" the different input options,

your hdmi1 there is likely hidden or skipped, so you can unhide or label it as something else (like Satellite).

Let me know if that works for you please.

I don’t see an “option” option on the remote.

Okay then go into the main menu, under setup, then to Input Labels and you can change it from there.

Unfortunately, after the screen goes to HDMI2, it immediately goes dark with only the words “No signal. Ensure that the external device...”. Hitting main menu does nothing.
Are you still with me?

The menu is entirely different from the inputs.

Exit out of the input list, or go to a different input.

Then press Menu to access the panasonic menu, go to setup from there, then input labels.

I can only get a black screen wherever I am, and the “No signal” message. My other television is working fine, so it is not a satellite issue.

So you can't watch anything at all on this tv (dvd, games, apps, etc)? On any input?

And at no point are you ever able to access the Panasonic menu?

Correct

Okay that situation is completely different than what was initially described then, and changes the outcome here significantly,

as this is not just an input labeling issue.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. The tv is past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Eldon

Thanks for your help.

You're very welcome, and my apologies again for the news.

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2CxVZhP

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Eldon

Eldon
Eldon, Technician