TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My LG tv just started flashing and it won't stop everything…

Customer Question
My LG tv just...

My LG tv just started flashing and it won't stop everything else is working functionally I unplugged the tv for a couple hours and still is flashing on and off

Technician's Assistant: What LG model do you have? How old is it?

Model 55lb5550-uy not more than 3 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes I can see it and hear sounds it's just flashing on and off...i have in also connected to my Xbox one which is working fine as well

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your 55LB5550? What happened right before this?

Just today

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
3/13/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.