TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My Mit.TV is 9 years old and now has started to have

My Mit.TV is 9...

My Mit.TV is 9 years old and now has started to have alternating red and blue vertical lines across the width of the screen. Is this something simple and inexpensive to fix, or is it time for a ne set? This was a top of the line 42

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

The TV is connected to a DISH box.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Not that I'm aware of.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

This is a LED HD TV.

There is also a DVD player connected.
3/13/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the model number of your mitsubishi?

LT4624-

Thank you,

and if you bring up the mitsu menu screens, are those affected the same way?

You have the info, lines are vertical and very thin.

Yes I understand the lines, and that they happen on dish.

I'm asking if you hit the menu button on the tv remote, if those lines show up over top of the menu screens also.

Thank you for checking.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty tcon board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is about double its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Does Mitsubishi still make TVs?
What are the replacement options. Replacement can't exceed 42.5 inches in width due to cabinet width.
Are you still there?

No they do not, and haven't for over 5 years.

Bummer, What brands do you recommend?

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2CxVZhP

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

Ok, thanks.

You're very welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer