TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have had a Sony Bravia for about 14 years. It has the

Pearl, I have...

Pearl, I have had a Sony Bravia for about 14 years. It has the number KDL-32XBR6 on it. In the last couple months the sound has not been functioning properly, it is fuzzy, etc. The TV connected to the same feed in the next room is not having a problem. What is the problem likely to be? Thanks. mark

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your Bravia connected tightly to the right sockets?

Yes, I believe so.

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

HDM. I actually moved the set from the other TV to check it out. Problem did not go away.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not interested if total cost is more than $5. Don't want to talk.

Do you have the original Sony remote in working condition?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Probably. I can check. haven't used in years.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I h ve it and it appears to be working
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
R U there?

Please try this- perform a factory reset:

- With the Tv on. Point the Sony remote at the Tv, press and hold the up arrow button on the remote.

- While holding the up arrow button, press and release the Power on button on the the TV (not the remote).

- The Tv will shut off and come back on by itself.

- Release the up arrow button on the remote control and complete any on screen setup.

Is the audio still a problem?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have done this. It says it will take 30 minutes to reset.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It seems to be searching for channels in Auto Program
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
has found none yet in either Analog or Digital

If you are not using antenna/cable direct from wall, you can cancel the channel search and simply change to the proper HDMI input.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am connected to a cable coming out of the wall
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
would it be better to chat live. How much would total cost be?

Huh, I thought you said in your original question is was HDMI...

I am not available by phone.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is but I still am connected to contact but the cabels are HDMI I think I am usuall getting signal though HDMI1

"I still am connected to contact" - what is "contact" ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry-comcast

Is there a comcast box in this room that you control channels/guide using a comcast remote? Is that box connected to the tv with hdmi?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe so.

Maybe you can check that- go to the back of the comcast box, look for an hdmi cable that goes to the back of the tv.

You don't know if you use a comcast remote to control a comcast box in this room?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but it comes out of a Comcast infinity box into which the cable runs. it has always worked fine this way until about 2 months ago.

Not clear- are you saying there is no hdmi cable going from the box to the tv?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Not at all. I have Comcast infinity. iT COMES FROM CABEL INTO A BOX. tHE HDMI CABLE RUNS FROM THE BACK OF THE BOX TO THE tv. tH ONLY ISSUE IS THE SOUND THAT HAS BEEN GARBLED FOR TWO MONTHS. dO SPEAKERS GO BAD?

Did the reset process I asked you to perform already complete?

Do you currently have picture and sound?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it found not channels. Not sure I did it right.I now have no picture.

Press the INPUT button on the Sony remote repeatedly until you get a picture/sound.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I actually did that and now have a picture. Sounds still has issues but not quite as bad at the moment? For some reason, the sound issue seems to be worse as the evening goes on. I am trying to determine if this is a Comcast or Sony problem. Do speakers go bad? If so, why? Can they be fixed or do you have to purchase a new TV?

Speakers can certainly go bad, especially if played at high volumes for long periods of time and especially after 14 years. Unfortunately repairs will cost more than buying a whole new 32" tv. But a new tv will come with a fresh warranty and new features.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Maybe you're thinking- "It wasn't worth it"... Well in fact, for years I worked for a repair shop that still charges $120 up front for an in home diagnosis. So by using this service you actually saved a ton of time and money.

Did you get the message I just posted?

I do want you to be satisfied, so do you need something more?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What I am still trying to determine is whether there is something that can be done that fixes the problem without replacing the set. At the moment, the problem I have been having does not seem to be quite as bad as it was but it is still there. I may need to try it for a bit. What did we do and should I try it again? I do not generally play the TV loud and certainly not for long periods. It is possible that the volume may have been turned up accidently at some point and someone turned the TV on. Would and isolated incident blow a or the speaker?

Yes the speakers can get blown from one isolated incident. There is no other reset process than what we already did and doing it again won't accomplish anything.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

You're welcome. Please do show your appreciation by submitting a 5 star rating at the top of this page.

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician