TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an Energy SW-100 subwoofer that I want to hook-up to…

I have an Energy...

I have an Energy SW-100 subwoofer that I want to hook-up to my 55" Samsung flat screen T.V. Do I need an amplifier or can I install it as is?

Technician's Assistant: What Samsung model do you have? How old is it?

It is a Series 56, 5201 and 3 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The TV menu works. I do not have a problem with the TV or the subwoofer and speakers. I just need information on how to hook-up the subwoofer and speakers to the TV.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?

There is no issues with the Samsung. I want to know if I can hook-up the Energy SW-100 subwoofer to the TV and if I need an amplifier or can I just hook it up directly to the TV.

3/12/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

In order to connect your Energy powered subwoofer to the Samsung TV, you do not need an amplifier (the Energy subwoofer has an amplifier built in), but you need a receiver- or else there's no way to connect the optical "digital" audio jack on the TV to the subwoofer and additionally no way to raise or lower the volume besides on the subwoofer itself (as the TV's optical audio output is not a variable audio output, but intead is "Fixed").

Even a basic $150 Sony AVR will work to connect the subwoofer to the TV, as it has both an optical Input and a subwoofer level out. However in that case it would also make sense to purchase a set of front, center, and rear surround speakers since now you're using a receiver and have that capability:

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_10420/Home-Theater-Receivers.html

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

I have the subwoofer , a center speaker and the other 4 speakers. So, I just need a receiver like the Sony AVR?

That is correct- a home theater receiver specifically in order to have the optical in, the subwoofer out and the multi-channel decoding. The Sony (first one at the link above) is the cheapest way to go, but any of the ones shown on that page will work).

Do you need further assistance with this?

Ok, Thank you.

You're welcome. could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician