TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have an 8 year old Insignia LCD TV - 52" The screen went…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. We...

Hi Pearl. We have an 8 year old Insignia LCD TV - 52" The screen went dark and the audio works great. Is there an inexpensive homeowner repair that can be done?

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Insignia TV?

Yes. We have a type of a Roku box and a game box

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No power outs

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
3/12/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 4 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Please get me the model number off of the back of the Insignia set.

Also, will the set's own MENU display if you use the original Insignia remote? Or does the screen appear pitch black as if the set were not even on?

Pitch Black as if not on, but Audio works Model # NS-L46Q120-10A

Thanks for the reply. This generally indicates the power supply/backlight board has failed- and requires replacement.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and did the screen light up- even for a second?

A hard reset does not work

What I need to know is this: Did the screen light up- EVEN for a second?

It did not light at all, not even a flash of light

That's bad news I'm afraid. Please give me a minute to type this up.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $100:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Insignia-46-NS-L46Q120-10A-56-04285-G21-Power-Supply-Board-Unit-/361313848662

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 46" LED Smart TV (your set is a 46" based on the model number) starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?