TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Samsung plasma TV. It has slowly become more and…

I have a Samsung...

I have a Samsung plasma TV. It has slowly become more and more a problem to turn on. It will not go on with the satellite remote, the Samsung remote, or the button under the red light. After turning off the set for awhile, it would come on. Now it has come to the point that it never comes on unless I turn off the power for a long time.

Technician's Assistant: Is your Samsung TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes. This is what I started doing when it first would not come on.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

It has progressively gotten worse. At first, when I went through the procedure, the TV would go on and off just fine for days. It became more and more of a problem until now it has to be off for at least an hour or so. Then after it does come on, it will not come back on again unless the power is off again for a long time.

3/12/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Please try to get the model number off the back of the tv. If not:
-when did you buy the tv?
-what size is the screen?

I will look for the model number now. Please give me a few minutes.

ok

The model number is: PN51E530A3FXZA. It is a plasma set, 55 inches.

Can you tell me about your electronics experience? For example:

-none/very little

-comfortable setting up tv, source devices, sound systems

-proficient with testing/repair (give examples)

I have little to no experience with electronics.

I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be a internal hardware failure that requires complex diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. In your case, you will need to use local repair shop but in home repairs start at $250 on this model and most shops charge just for diagnosis. So you really should to compare that to prices of new 51" tv's that come with a fresh warranty, more features, etc.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Did you get the message I just posted?

I do want you to be satisfied, so do you need something more?

I appreciate your honesty but I was afraid there was something drastically wrong with the TV to begin with. It was worth it to me to spend $5.00 to find out if there was something minor I could do to make the TV work OK.
I will be happy to give you a good rating.

Thank you.

Do you have a suggestion as to what brand or brands would be good to shop for?

Brand is not as important as where you buy the tv and whether you get the extended warranty. I suggest Best Buy or Costco and get the longest extended warranty to go along with it. From there, it's mostly about features, number of inputs, built in apps, etc.

you would recommend getting a long extended warranty? If so, is it your experience that Best Buy and Costco have the best and longest warranties?

Yes, exactly. Longest possible warranty they sell. Best Buy or Costco are good.

OK. One last question. What type of TV would you suggest, i.e. LED, Plasma, etc.?

LED is really the only choice these days.

Thank you so much for all this information! I think that is all I need.

You're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician