TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The tv powers up and then shut down. It is n sRS BBE, we…

Customer Question
The tv powers up...

The tv powers up and then shut down

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

It is n sRS BBE, we have had it for at least 15 years, we are afraid to shut it off for fear it will not turn back on. The tv is working now

Technician's Assistant: Happy to help. Want a weekly JustAnswer email to help with other issues? If so, what's your email address? And if you'd still like to talk to the TV Expert, I'll connect you shortly.

Customer:***@******.***

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
I don't know where to find model number and it was the first plaza tv to come out
3/12/2018
TV Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 4 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

What is the make and model number of the TV please?

(you can see the model number on the rear panel)

Gateway plaza. 48"
Gtw-p42M102

Ok, so this is a 42" plasma TV model;

When it starts shutting down intermittently it indicates that the internal power supply board is failing.

Eventually it will stop working altogether. Keeping it turned on all the time will not help improve the life of the power supply board.

The power supply board inside the TV will need to be replaced - this repair typically costs around $250 by a local TV repair tech.

You will need to consider if it is worth investing this much in a repair for a 15 year old TV< or if you would rather invest in a new one -

you can get a new TV for less than $300:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-43LJ5500-43-Inch-1080p/dp/B01N5UV2SX/

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.