TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My screen just went black! I'm still getting the audio so I…

My screen just went...

My screen just went black! I'm still getting the audio so I think the cable is OK; did my TV die? It's not that old 15 months or so. It's abouth a 40'' hd flat screen. Thanks JC

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Yes there are; red,yellow and white. There is a least one other I think it's a HDMI (not sure)

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No, but I re-booted my cable box anyways to no avail

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No appreciate ur help!

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.

A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info ;
Also ,Could you please give me the model number written on the tv`s back cover ?

I think this is the model # LG 42LN5400

Looks good for the model number and that already gives me a pretty good idea of the problem

If you turn the tv off and back on again do you get a brief flash of light or perhaps the company logo on the screen before it goes dark ?

Is the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?

I get a VERY brief flash of light on the bottom of the screen when I first turn it on. Also, by chance I was shining a flashlight on the screen and I could see some of the picture VERY faintly in the background. Looked like screens for TV setting adjustments.

OK then this only confirms my diagnostic , let me type this down and after the model do you have letters like UA-BUSYLJR ?

By the way

If you received a $26 phone offer or any offers they are automated by the website ,NOT BY ME and WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE , I`m an independent tech. and have NO CONTROL over those, they are optional and you can just ignore them if you don`t want it .

I don't understand "UA_BUSYLJR"

That is the SVC code after the model number on the back cover could be BUSYLJR ,BUSYLMR etc. , please give it to me ?

Never mind that code

By the look of it I`m afraid that what your tv has is another case of defective LED strips and this is very common with LED backlit tv`s now
Those LED`s are supposed to last a zillion hours but they do not , they are failing all over the place
There is a very slight chance the power supply/led driver board may be causing this but i give this a 90 to 95% chance you have defective strips

Here is a link to give you an idea what is needed ;

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-lc420due-sfr1-led-strips-10-strips-1-board.htm
There is also a video on that page that shows you how its done so before you order anything watch it

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $200 to $250 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself but if i may be frank , you can get a new 42" tv for that money nowadays so i would recommend going shopping instead

309RMSS0T50

Let me know if you have questions and if not for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post while it gets me paid for my time helping you .

I had already kinda concluded just buying a new one was probably the way to go. I'm a little gunshy about LG after this episode; any thoughts on Vizio? Thanx, John

There are 3 popular brands i will not recommend , one is Sharp , RCA and Vizio

If you want something in the price range of vizio and better built , try Insignia at bestbuy

Any more questions on this ?
If not for now then PLEASE DO RATE , it doesn`t cost you anything more and I get paid for my time.

Jack
Jack, Technician
Got intereruptted by a domestic issue, still there? Other than my aforementioned problems with LG; do think they're okay?

Yes , LG is ok , they seem to have corrected that back lighting issue

Thanks for the ratings