TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Sound on our new TV isn't loud enough - have tried Menu but…

Customer Question
Sound on our new...

Sound on our new TV isn't loud enough - have tried Menu but it doesn't come up with sound option,

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your TV connected tightly to the right sockets?

I believe so, but is mounded on wall so am not sure

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

Hdmi

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
3/11/2018
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 5 months ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent, pay per question support website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help

- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of the TV?

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to the TV and does the low sound problem occur on all video input sources?

As I said it is mounted on wall, I have swived it around, but cannot see model no. Box just says 5 series - would think you would have put model no. on box?

Yes, the box would have model number label probably on the sides

TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 5 months ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

My name is ***** ***** if you press the volume UP on the remote for the TV (the one that came with the TV) does the volume climb or not please?

You can send me an email -- or call. Just let me know what you want to do so I can get on with my day Thank you
Do the online if you can manage to do that SOON!

No one is at present available for a phone call option please read my request for info above

cancel the phone call since it has taken so long, let's do the online chat NOW

please read my request for info above

so if you press the volume UP on the remote for the TV (the one that came with the TV) does the volume climb or not please?

I'm at computer - in one room, TV at back of house -- Will use the remote WITH TV and check and let you know Wait a minute
Used up & Down on volume with your remote and nothing happened

Did you see the volume graphic go UP?on the screen??

No, all I saw was e/i in the lower left corner

Can you please reboot the TV and any satellite or cable box by un-plugging both from wall-power wait 5 mins then re-plug back in again,let me know if there is any change please
Anthony

OK will do

Let me know thanks

I turned off all att at main box, left off 5 minutes, re-plugged in TV to power, it came up with ATT and now says it needs to be restarted, which i did -- BUT it still isn't working. I pushed power button on TV box at TV but it still says "restart receiver"
HELP
Even tho it says "restart receiver" on your TV the other TVs in the house are working fine now, since the initial reboot.

Please reboot the BOX that FEEDS that set?unplug it and it ALONE from wallpower wait 5 mins replug back in again..............

DO THE SAME WITH THE TV at the same time

Sorry, are you meaning to reboot ATT for whole house, and TV at the same time, or the receiver box and pull power from TV - I don't know exactly what you mean to do
It's unplugged from power & receiver is turned off

There will be a single box that feeds the TV that you are having the problem with?AND the TV itself?unplug both from wallpower

ATT is rebooting TV so we'l; let you know when they're done
ok we now have a picture again -- now, what do we do to get volume increased -- should I try again like we did or not
I tried increasing the volume again with YOUR remote, but it comes up "not available"
it appearss that we only have one thing plugged into wall power. The TV comes on and we have picture, using the ATT remote with volume I can go down from 100, but not up
TV Technician: littlerusty2005, Expert replied 5 months ago
littlerusty2005

Hello, my name is Rusty. Did it used to have enough volume, or has it always been too low?

I've done about all I can, -- I'll pay the $26 for a phone call. I'm so frustrated, I thought I was buying a quality product when I got a Samsun, now I have serious questions, and frankly feel that paying anything for your help if not justified, but I'M STUCK WITH IT NOW. PLEASE, call me back and let's get this problem resolved, I've devoted over a half a day and no results.
When it was turned on after installation the volume top volume read 100 and would go down, with the down arrow, but frankly I didn't see any difference in the volume. Did I just get a lemon?
Rusty, are you there?

No, you didn't get a lemon. Modern TVs are designed with weak sound systems, about 3 watts per side if you're lucky. That's barely enough to notice a difference. There is a fairly easy solution, but you'll need an add on. The plus side, it will sound awesome.

Click here. You can get similar models at Best Buy or Fry's, this will allow you to have all the volume you need, as well as enhance the sound so you'll get a better experience with movies and TV shows.

TVs these days, are built for high end video. Samsung has great pictures, and it's because they focus on the video, not the audio on the TV. It's becoming the norm that a TV is plugged into a sound system.

You'll plug your optical audio output from your TV into this sound bar, and you will be able to enjoy great audio right away.

There is one setting you'll need to set in your TV, in your sound menu, turn the TV speakers off, and that will activate the audio output so the sound will come from your new soundbar.

You tell me what we need to buy and we'll get it and HOPE that it helps. We will also need instructions as to how to get the device operational
Are you telling me to do that now, or is this after we buy SOMETHING and install?

Once you get the soundbar, then it will be necessary to turn off the TV speakers.

Just get a sound bar with a subwoofer, the link I showed you before is a great sounding soundbar. Here's how to connect it:

Connect the optical audio output from your TV to the soundbar.

In your TV's sound menu, turn the TV speakers off.

If you see an option in that menu to choose between PCM and Bitstream/Dolby, choose Bitstream.

On your soundbar, press the input button repeatedly until Optical is selected, and you're good to go!

It looks as tho there are MANY, what one would be effective without paying an arm and a leg for it. I can't believe we got a TV and then have to go someplace and buy more stuff just to be able to enjoy it. In the old days you bought a TV and plugged it in and it worked -- and supposedly this is BETTER! I don't think so!
You're talking to 84 year old gal, who will have to get someone else to do this for me, after I buy the bitstream/dolby. And I thought I was smart buying a Samsung!
Since I haven't received a phone all, I would certainly hope that I don't see a $26 charge on my credit card bill. And, it would be nice to have a phone call that I CAN CALL, instead of going thru all this - I've been at this for over 5 hours and am still at the same place I was when I started, except for being told to buy more stuff to make it function properly. PLEASE HELP, at least come back with something so I know that I can turn the computer off and do our dinner. Thanks
Is anyone at this 24/7 site, please respond

You won't see a bill for the $26 if you didn't get the call. I see the premium service request offer just came across my desk, so if you still want a call, I'll be happy to resend the request, as the old one has expired.

New technology has come a long way. It used to be that a TV had one speaker, and that was sufficient. Now, there are movies that are encoded in surround sound, so they are making TVs to specialize in video, and sound systems to specialize in sound. That's just how the manufacturers are playing it these days.

It doesn't matter which TV you buy, they all follow the same principle. Samsung is a good brand, and you'll get good quality video from your new TV. You'll just need a little extra to get your sound where you want it to be. You'll spend between $99 and $199 for a sound bar, no need to go any more than that.

So, now you know you need a soundbar to get the sound at the volume you want, and the instructions I gave will make it work. This is how new audio/video systems for home are done these days.

Thanks I'm off - I'll take a trancalizer and get dinner.

Ok, I'll leave this question open in case you need help setting up your new sound bar. Please don't forget to rate 3-5 stars for helping you get enough volume. If you need help, please reply.

TV Technician: stevenl1469,
 replied 5 months ago
stevenl1469
Phone call session started

Were you able to get your sound working the way you want?