TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a sony tv model kdl 42w800b which display goes off…

I have a sony...

I have a sony tv model kdl 42w800b which display goes off with some time and sound coming after while that's also shutting down its seem to be back light is dark blue short of

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Sony TV?

No

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I tryied to update software through net but its also saying never version not detected then i did a factory setting but it's alo didn't short out this matter

3/10/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

ok

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

but tv is working perfect after some period only this happened. i saw in many forum its identified as firmware or software issue.

If the issue continues, even intermittently, that is a hardware matter, not a software/firmware issue.

it meant its not the problem with panel and its the problem of power side im i correct?

It is most likely a bad main board (motherboard)

will it be able to fix by repairmen?

Yes it is possible to repair,

but for a 4 year old tv, I would not consider it economical to do so. This tv is already past its expected life, and will cost as much to fix as to buy a new one. Even if you fix this, other parts will fail and I would not expect it to last more than another year before other parts fail and you end up having to buy another new one anyway

can you briefed me the steps that i have to preform with the power button such like unplugged 60 mts then after

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

from step 3 its bit confuse you meant that before plug in to the electricity after 60 mts i should press the power button of tv and the after that connect to the power and still hold the power button 60 seconds and release it. is it?

After an hour,

then you press and hold the power button (before plugging in)

keep holding while plugging back in, and after plugged continue holding still another 60 seconds

ok perfect then after released what are the indications and steps to do and how can i identified its going to solve the problem

That is the process,

if the problem continues, that confirms a hardware defect and the tv would then have to be either repaired, or more practically, replaced.

if its not the hardware problem then it will be a software issue with that will it be resolve?

There is currently no new update available for this tv. You already have the latest version, so the reset may help. If it does not, then it is hardware. There is no new update for this tv, it has not been supported by sony for over a year now, there are no new updates and their never will be any more in the future

thank you very much for your kind support on this, then i have another 20 mts to wait. if my problem shorted out i will let you know nathanThank You..

You're very welcome!

Nathan, Installer