TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Have Sharp 65" 4K TV, about 1.5 years old. LC-65UM30U. Heres…

Have Sharp 65" 4K...

Have Sharp 65" 4K TV, about 1.5 years old

Technician's Assistant: How old is your 4K?

LC-65UM30U

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Heres the issue. On a cold startup (after been sitting for a while), you get the Sharp logo and the picture from any of the HDMI ports works fine. After about 5 min, I get blocky picture artifacts, blank picture issues and vertical lines. after about 5 more minutes, picture and audio go out. power light is still on., I thought it was the main board. Replaced it but did not fix the issue Thinking it is a the t-con board

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No menu shows up when there is no image. So, that rules out the HDMI board issues (which is part of the main board I just replaced).

3/10/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are the lines only ever vertical? Or horizontal too?

Do you have issues with sound at all or does that continue to work properly while the picture has the lines and artifacts?

I have a fully working tv for about 5 min (video and audio). When it goes black, no video or audio.While it is flashing before it , I bet large boxes with pink lines that flash around the screen . I can send you pics in a few minutes

Yes please do send pics if you are able

As of now, pictures comes and goes every few seconds to a few minutes. But audio seems to be staying on at least for now.

Thanks for the pics,

The main board would have been the more likely suspect here since audio is impacted as well,

since that didn't help, the tcon board is a possibility, but it is also quite likely that this is a panel defect based on those pictures and how the sound shuts down. You certainly could take a gamble with replacing the tcon next,

but beyond that we'd then be down to a panel failure if that didn't help, and that is not repairable. Honestly for a tv of this brand, I wouldn't even consider it worth buying the tcon board. I'd try to get my money back from that main board part and start over with a new tv. I know that may sound extreme, but these are some of the absolute lowest quality tvs on the market. They are not made by sharp, they are built by hisense, one of the worst quality import brands and licensed under the sharp name. These sharp tvs bank on that name when in reality they are no better than the other "junk" brands like rca, insignia, vizio, etc. Even if you get lucky with the tcon, even that fix would not be expected to last long as other parts (and even the replacements) will continue to fail and need more and more investment.

I can help with finding parts or replacement recommendations though, if you'd like.

First, I did not know Sharp TVs were HiSense. But am aware that Sharp is not that high quality. My go-to TVs are normally Samsung and Sony. LG may be fine but I just don't like the interface.I'm in the AV business and put TVs in all the time. I actually pulled this one out of a commercial install we did about a year ago and replaced it with a new TV (Samsung in this case). I thought it would try to fix it (for my personal use). So, I have zero personal investment in the TV and about $85 in the main board. So an additional $40-$50 may be worth the try. After that, it goes to the junk yard. Worth it or give up now?

I'm an installer too, and learned the hard way putting a lot of these into commercial spaces, even when they were real sharp products, and since they sold out to hisense in 2015 I won't go anywhere near them. For the cost of a tcon board if you have nothing else into it it might be worth taking a risk, you certainly can't buy a 65" set for that, but even if it does work I wouldn't expect to get more than another year or so out of it.

That was my thought as well. I can probably send back the Main board - only been a few weeks since I received it. I feel that since the same issue occurred with the old board, the old board is probably fine.

I agree, so no need to invest in the main, even if you do decide to keep the tv otherwise.

Nathan, Installer
Just looked, no returns unless it is defective. So, just a sunk cost unfortunately. Feel I'll take the chance for $50. But I think I'm with you that the time may be short lived.Thanks for the help!

You're very welcome, and best of luck!

You can always resell that main board yourself too (ebay or amazon)

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,