TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Samsung plasma pn63c8000yfxza. Powers up, but no picture.

Customer Question
Samsung plasma pn63c8000yfxza. Powers...

Samsung plasma pn63c8000yfxza. Powers up, but no picture. I've got back panel off. Been doing some diag/troubleshooting but nothing yet.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Samsung TV?

No

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No. But when the picture failed we heard a faint buzz followed by a faint pop. Then no picture since. Working fine prior. We did sustain heavy winds during the issue. Maybe a power surge?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
3/10/2018
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 month ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent, pay per question support website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help

• Does power indicator light on TV turn On solid or blink when press power button?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Solid

OK, is there any connector or board disconnected from the TV?

If so, please reconnect them and check the power light status

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've disconnected the Y main and Y buffer upper and lowers to check continuity for shorts and found No issues. I would need to reassemble which would take a few minutes. That ok?

No problem, please take your time

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Ready to turn on

Sure, please reply back with the result

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Led light is on, illuminated when tv is off or in stand by mode. When I push the power button on the LED blinks four times and then goes out. I can hear the jingle, music tone when it boots up but still no picture
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Green led light on logic board is illuminated and blinking every couple seconds...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually it stays on for about 4 seconds the off for 2 seconds then continues this cycle...

Thanks for the info, can you check Va and Vs volts on the connector of power supply board that plugged to y-main board?
Volts may appear for a second when tuning TV power On

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Va is about 3.2v and vs is about 13.5v
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually, I just double checked the VA volts and it's less than 1 V

OK, there are two suspected boards for this trouble, please note that both boards are not supposed to be repaired on the component level so have to swap the entire boards to move forward, mostly it is y-main board or x-main board that goes out and sometimes power supply board also found bad

Please click the following board supplier link to get required replacement board or search/ google it to have better price info

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung/pn63c8000yfxza

I hope this info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also noticed that the VA voltage spikes to about 20 V when I turn it on and then drops to less than 1 v

Then the power board would be fine and TV goes into protection mode that shuts off the power supply when it gets error signal from sustain board (y-main and x-main)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should I check the voltage going into the X Main?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you think the Y &X buffers are OK? And it's either the Y Main or the X Main? Logic board and main boards are not suspect?

Same VS volt goes to x-main board and you'll probably get the similar reading on that connector, I would recommend to swap y-main board as first thing in the TV

Yes, rest of the boards look OK and it is y-main and/or x-main board failure

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll try the Y Main first per your suggestion. Shall I let you know results, probably won't happen for a week or so.

Yes, I'll be waiting for the results

Wish you the best~

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks.

Much welcome~

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am waiting for the part to arrive so I can install it. Once I do and of it works I will let you know and rate your service.
Thanks,

Sure Mike, take your time and reply back with the result

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I received the Y main board and installed it today, did not help. Disappointing. I am curious about the vs voltage being less than one volt. You said it was the power supply getting a signal from the Y Main to protect the power supply, shutting down the voltage to the Y nam shutting down the voltage to the Y main. However if we unplugged power cable to the Y Main and tested the voltage shouldn't it be normal? I tried this and it was still less than one volt. What do you think now?

I never said that in that way, TV mainboard monitors the sustain board performance and in case of any error protection mode kicks in that will turn Off high volt section (Va and Vs), now if you disconnect the y-main or x-main, mainboard will detect it as an error and shuts off the power section

Let me repost this question for other techs to look into it, I'm opting out now

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll be standing by...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me what the va and vs voltage should be?

Those should be approx 200V Dc and 60V DC

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I wonder if my next move should be power supply because I'm only getting 13.5v on the vs and less than 1v on the va.

Yes, it could be power supply board at this point as TV has a new y-main board so next suspected board is power supply board

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, I never heard from anyone else regarding troubleshooting my tv. In the meantime I ordered and installed a new power board but still doesn't work. What about the logic board, part number, LJ92-01684A? It has an LED that flashes 4 seconds on and 1.5 seconds off. I also noticed it has another LED that does not illuminate at all.
Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician