TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a big projection tv how do you replace the bulb. Sony…

I have a big...

I have a big projection tv how do you replace the bulb

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Sony and it's a older one like maybe 15 years. It says energy star on it

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The menu works time display but it's slanted

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Sony? What happened right before this?

Just today and just went blank

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I understand that a bulb can be changed

3/9/2018
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent, pay per question support website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help

- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of the TV?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Give me a minute

Sure, take your time

Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Md#kp-53V90
Phone call session started

Thanks for phone call request, I accepted it and ready to make the phone call but want to make sure that you know this phone premium service would cost you additional $26 on top of this chat session cost so please confirm to proceed or I'll close it for you and we can continue troubleshooting here in text chat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model Kp-53v90
Ser(###) ###-####Man dat January 2002

Thanks for the info, did you get my previous reply to phone call request?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
let's try it here
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Continue in text chat

No problem, I'll close your phone call request and he charges $26 will be credited to you soon

KP-53V90 TV does not have any bulb or lamp, it is an old rear projection TV that utilizes three picture tubes

- Have you tried to disconnect TV power cord from the power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok will do

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unplug it for 30 minutes didn't work. When you pull up menu it looks like it's round

OK, do you get the menu in different colors as well?

OK, this kind of problem mostly occurs due to the failure of convergence output chips in this TV, there is repair kit available at the following supplier that contains required parts if you're looking to attempt to repair the TV yourself

http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/sony-kp-53v90-convergence-repair-kit.html

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-KP-53V90-KP53V90-Convergence-Repair/dp/B006B9MY4Y

I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective parts replacement to resolve the issue
I trust my input will help you out to make the decision about this TV repair or invest that money in new replacement TV, I would not recommend spending time and money on this old TV
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask

Thanks

Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician