TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 42" Vizio E422VA TV. I had a power outage last

I have a 42"...

I have a 42" Vizio E422VA TV. I had a power outage last night for about 2 hours. When I attempted to turn on the TV this morning, the power light blinks. I called Vizio and went through the power reset cycle. Turned off the TV at the outlet and the AC plug, unplugged all the devices connected to it, held down the Power button fro 30 while the power was off, then plugging everything back in. Power button blinks for 1-2 minutes then goes off. Push power button and power light comes on steady but there is only black screen - no audio either. Do I have blown capacitors?

Technician's Assistant: Is your E422VA connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Yes, it is in a surge protector. I rebooted the surge protector and all the other devices without issue

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yew

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand this doesn't sound like capacitors. I need to know, when the TV turns on, does the screen "backlight" meaning it glows slightly lighter than if the set were off?

no, it does not.

Okay, so can you turn the set on and off repeatedly and the power light changes like it should?

that is correct. The power light goes on like it should now with a solid light but does not stay on. Goes off after 30 seconds
Correction - shuts its self off after 30 seconds

These symptoms are inconclusive and look like either a power supply board or mainboard failure (either board can cause these symptoms). In many cases after a power outage- BOTH boards can fail, so without going into the set and testing voltages using a meter- the layman's approach is to purchase both boards and replace one at a time until the set powers up. You're looking to repair the set yourself I assume? Would you like me to search for links to those boards?

Are you still with me here?

I am. I have a voltage meter. What would I need to test? I would like the links as well. I found the power board but not the mother board.

You would check all of the DC outputs labeled on the power supply board to see if they are present or not when the TV is turned on. If they're not then you need to replace the power supply board. The Mainboard (there's no mother board) is the one with the AV and HDMI jacks. Standby while I pull up those boards please.

ok

The power supply board is available at the link below for $38:

https://www.ebay.com/p/VIZIO-E422va-TV-Power-Supply-Board-ADTVA2420XAB/1963080797

Wow! Thank you. How about the link to the main board?

The mainboard is out of stock everywhere (not uncommon on older sets). Coppeli TV repair fixes these boards down to a component level replacing the EEPROM chip. They are located at the link below:

http://www.coppelltvrepair.com/p/1309/repair-service-for-vizio-e422va-main-board-756txacb5k005-715g4365-m01-000-005k

I would suggest moving with the power supply board first (since it's only $38) and if that fails to solve the issue then go for the Mainboard repair service (it requires an IC extractor and very proficient soldering skills to replace the EEPROM).

You're very welcome. It took me a bit to search all of the Mainboard source, which is why it took another couple minutes.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?
Ok, will do. Thank you for your help. Is there a way to keep this thread?

You're welcome. You can get back here at anytime by, Bookmarking the Page/Add to Favorites, logging onto www.justanswer.com, then clicking on "My Questions", or by clicking on any of the links in the Reply E-mails the site sends you.

Again, Thank you!

You're very welcome! Could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician

Do you need further assistance, or are you unable to see the stars to rate?

Thank you!

Hi, I saw on the link to the main board - there are actually 6-7 versions of the main board. How do I know which one I have?

You would remove the set and copy down the part number off of your board and compare to the ones available for sale.

Is there a specific spot on board where to look for the part number?

It depends- usually on a sticker (wherever they decided to place it), or silk-screened along one of the edges. You can see that possible part number at that link. But offhand, if you're going to have it repaired- then you don't really need the part number? But here is what they list- so look for the number matching of of these:

756TXACB5K005 / TXACB5K00502 / TXACB5K00503 / TXACB5K00504Q / 756TXBCB5K00903 / TXBCB5K00902Q

The repair shop said they would charge me for 3 main boards and the labor since they did not know which one I needed.