TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My Samsung HL-85087W keeps shutting itself off periodically.

My Samsung HL-85087W keeps...

My Samsung HL-85087W keeps shutting itself off periodically. I’ve been keeping the timer switch (in the back of the tv) down with a rubber band and that work for several years. I have also tried turning off HDMI signal but it still turns off after awhile. I’ve googled that it could also be the capacitor but I would not to repair that on my own. What else haven’t I tried?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your HL-85087W?

About 13 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

It has not shut off on other sources

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your HL-85087W? What happened right before this?

This just started yesterday. But I have notice for alittle while before this, the picture would clich alittle and I had to unplug the HDMI to get a clear picture.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I’ve also tried switching out HDMI cables

3/9/2018
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

My Samsung HL-85087W keeps shutting itself off periodically. I’ve been keeping the timer switch (in the back of the tv) down with a rubber band and that work for several years. I have also tried turning off HDMI signal but it still turns off after awhile. I’ve googled that it could also be the capacitor but I would not to repair that on my own. I worked for me most of the day today but when i turn it off to leave the house, when I came back I turned it on and it turned off again
Hello????

When the TV shuts off, does the red standby light blink?

I get three lights, one red and two green (Stand By, Timer and Lamp.
Is there something else I can do to repair it myself?
Are you online?

Yes I am here

Sorry for the delay, just checking the service manual.

All 3 lights blinking at once indicate a problem with the lamp.

have you tried replacing the lamp?

But I can still get a picture and I replaced the lamp a little less the a year ago when the tv display didn't even come on.

The three blinking lights can also indicate a problem with the ballast board that supplies power to the lamp.

If it is defective, the three lights on the TV will blink.

That board will need to be tested and replaced if faulty.

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

Pete, Electronic Engineer