TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a new LG t.v I bought seven months ago. It has a line…

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new LG t.v I bought seven months ago. It has a green line on the very bottom I noticed today. Turned off and reset settings but it’s still there. Woundering if under warranty?

Technician's Assistant: What LG model do you have? How old is it?

Where do I find it? June 2017

Technician's Assistant: The TV Technician will be able to walk you through that. Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

There is a green line across the bottom of the tv, about 1/8 in up from bottom

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your LG? What happened right before this?

Just noticed it today. Just turned on it was there. It hangs on my wall so wasn’t bumped or anything

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I guess i also can’t get the aspect ratio to line up when it’s on full screen or on of the bigger screens.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
3/9/2018
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 1 month ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. I really need to see a picture of what you're seeing so I can diagnose it accurately. Next to the "Send" button on your chat window, click "Add Files" to upload photos directly to this conversation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
K I had to run and get kid from school I’ll be back home in ten minutes. Sorry

Sure no problem

Yep, thanks.

It's important that we narrow this down a bit. The symptoms you're describing can come from a defect in the TV itself, but also from a lot of other things like the external device you're using (cable box, DVD player, etc.) or even the cables that connect the devices together.

So, is this limited to the cable/satellite signal? Or does it also show up if you're watching a DVD, playing a game console, etc.? If you aren't sure, please check. It's important.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it’s on when just the tv is on and the dish cable is on as well.

When you say "just the tv is on" do you mean before the Dish box is turned on?

OK please change the TV's input to another (possibly unused) input, like the component or composite video inputs....let me know if the line is visible there, as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now I see one about a foot over from the left side too . This one goes vertical
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
now both lines show up

OK there are 2 possible causes for these lines. First is defective or outdated firmware, and second is the main board inside the TV. Since the TV is under warranty the only thing you should do is update the firmware (if an update is available). You can check >>here<<. If one is available, go ahead and run through the steps and it will not void your warranty. If that doesn't help (or if there is not an update available) then we're looking at a bad main board which would be covered under the warranty.

I really hope that answers your question! Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.