TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Panasonic Viera TV TC-P50X5...the screen went blank…

I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic Viera TV TC-P50X5...the screen went blank and the power indicator red light was flashing on and off... I unplugged the TV overnight and when I plugged it back in and tried to turn it on on...nothing happened

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Viera?

I unplugged the HDMI cables and plugged the TV in direct...still nothing

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Not that I was aware of

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That is the main problem

3/9/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is about double its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hi Nathan...I will try what you suggested tonight and if it doesn't work then what you're suggesting is a new TV rather than a repair as the cost of the repair is not feasible on a 6 year old TV...This is the first time I've used an online service...I entered my credit card information...however what is the actual cost I am being charged for the service and I think I clicked on a free trial but If I didn't need any other help how do I cancel the service

You would have paid the fees that were noted on the payment page for a one time help, if you opt not to continue on with a subscription.

I can let customer service know if you don't want a membership.

Do you still want me to call you? That is another 26 on top of the chat fees already paid.

No ... I guess there is no reason to call me...what are the chat fees so far

No problem, I'll ask CS to cancel that as well then.

We're all independent techs, so I can't see that info, it was 5 to post your question and the balance was shown and agreed to on the payment page. When we're done here, you can click on the Account link at the top of the page and it should show billing history there for you.

If you end up replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2CxVZhP

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Thank you for your help Nathan... definitely a 5 Star response

You're very welcome!

Nathan, Installer