TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Keeps going off without pushing off buttons. It is LG

Keeps going off without...

Keeps going off without pushing off buttons

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

It is LG mcr64906501 4yrs

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

There is nothing else connected.and no menu the power goes off to soon

3/8/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Can you please get me the LG model number off of the back of the set (the number you posted is not valid)?

Also were there any storms, or power outages just prior to this occurring?

Snow flurries no storm #MCR64906501

Thanks. That's not the model though. An LG model number would be something like: LG47L70 or similar. Please check again.

My TV is on the wall

What's the rough screen size (ex: 32, 47, 60" etc.)?

42LN5300

Thank you for the reply. These symptoms point to a failure of the power supply board in the set and generally requires repairs to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

Came on with no picture then goes off

That's bad news I'm afraid. Please give me a minute to type this up.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $35:

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/products/lg-42ln5300-power-supply-board-eax64905301-2-4-eay62810501.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA24PVBRBvEiwAyBxf-azx6SRCASdRLhHiWnAcrxGWWfoc1ptbittw7jcuPjjTymmB1lUknRoC1a4QAvD_BwE

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician