TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Vizio TV, 50 inch. About 4 or 5 years old. It

I have a Vizio...

I have a Vizio TV, 50 inch. About 4 or 5 years old. It powers on, but has no sound and no picture. I have checked, rebooted, unplugged and plugged back in. I have read that repairs could be upwards of $400 and I wonder if I should just trash it.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Vizio TV?

Yes, and I have checked to make sure those are plugged in as well.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No that is it. Thanks.

3/8/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

I need more information to give you an accurate answer.

1) What's the model number off the back of the Vizio?

2) Does the Vizio welcome logo display when you first turn it on?

3) If you press MENU or Input on the original Vizio remote- will those indicators display?

4) Does the screen light up (backlight), or does it appear the same as if the set were off?

Vizio E500i-B1
The Logo does not come on.
Pressing menue does nothing.
The screen does not light up from the back either. It appears the same. The only light that comes on is the power on light at the bottom.

Thank you for the reply. Offhand these symptoms point to either a failed power supply or mainboard - or both. Usually these boards are somewhere in the $200 range for both if you're looking to repair the set yourself. However if looking at a shop to repair, then yes- you're close to the $350 range. That said, did you want me to search and see if those boards are available for purchase?

No, but one more question. We paid about $700 for the TV and in research it said that if the repair costs half of what you paid you should just get another one. What is your opinion on that?

I'm finding both of these boards available at the link below for around $150 for the pair (there are several different Mainboards- and you would want to match against the part number on the board in your set to find out which one is correct):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio/e500i-b1

Those boards are plug and play meaning no soldering is needed.

As far as repair cost- I would never put that kind of money into repairs on a 4-5 year old set, as these are generally designed for between 5-7 years of life before requiring repairs- and about 10 years total regardless of repairs. That same money can just about purchase a brand new 50" LED 4K Smart TV these days (I just purchased an LG 49" for $400 last week). So that would not be cost effective in my opinion.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
Thank you for your help. I appreciate it so much. Hope you have a great day.

You're very welcome and thank you for the rating. You as well!