TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The sound is crystal clear but there is no picture. It is…

The sound is crystal...

The sound is crystal clear but there is no picture.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Yes it is connected to directv also connected to a vcr. when I put a tape in the vcr it is the same. no picture but perfect sound

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

We always have power outages where we live. lol

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Even though the screen looks black, if you stand where the ceiling light hits it just right you can barely see the pic. its very very hard to see.

3/8/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

What is the model number of the tv?

Are you able to see the tvs own menu screens at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
49L310U

Thank you for the info,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
barely. it is really hard to see. i have to stand in a certain position so the light hits it just right. even then I can barely make it out

Thanks for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or backlight, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2015 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. This set is already well past its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a better quality brand, in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan, Installer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. We actually bought this tv in Feb 2016 so its only 2 years old. so what you are saying is Toshiba is only good for a couple of years? I will definately never buy another Toshiba if that's the case!

Yes, toshiba is one of several brands that used to be good but sold off their name to a low quality import company that licenses their logo but really sells very poor quality products.

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2CxVZhP

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is your opinion of a Sony?

Their quality has gone down considerably as well.

Picture/sound quality is still great, but the build quality of the electronics is not.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had a Samsung and it only lasted 4 years! I also had a Samsung refrigerator that had to be replaced the 2nd year we had it. so I'm not real crazy about Samsung products either.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh gosh! I just bought a sony to replace the samsung that quit working.

I prefer the LG sets personally

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help!

You are very welcome!

Nathan, Installer