TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The TV will not respond to the remote. The ir sensor

The TV will not...

The TV will not respond to the remote. The ir sensor flickers but there is no response. I can't even turn the TV on or off.

Technician's Assistant: What is the model of your TV?

Un55hu6840f

Technician's Assistant: What menu options can you access, if any?

I can access the source function

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I guess that's all.

3/8/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

I need some clarification- you say the TV doesn't have a response and you can't turn it off or on- then you say you can access the MENU. Please describe in detail exactly what the TV is doing or not doing.

Sensor flashes, access to any function is sporadic or not available.

Thank you. So what I'm asking is this- you said you can't turn the TV off or on, so is it on or off and how do you get it on or off?

If you couldn't turn the TV on, it would be off. And vise versa, so how is it powering up and how do you eventually turn it off?

I turn the power off at the power strip.

Okay I understand. These symptoms indicate a failure of the Samsung's Mainboard and generally requires replacement of that part to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $95:

https://www.ebay.com/i/141933551843?chn=ps

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $250-$300 parts and labor, which may or may not be effective as a brand new 46-50" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
I did it three times and I'm getting some responses. Give me a couple of seconds.
Seems as though I can turn the unit off by remote but not on. Tried to turn on manually and no response. When it's on, I can use the remote.
I have to unplug the unit in order to get it to turn on.
Thanks for your help.
You're welcome and sorry to hear that. I posted the link to the board and diagnosis above. Best of luck with the set.
I replaced the mother board and I still have no remote control.

Omit the remote control and try using the button on the TV itself- does that work to power the set up?

I'll try that when I get home.

Okay, reply back when you get there.

TV will not turn off manually.

How about ON.

Will not turn off or on manually. When I turn it on at the power strip it comes on.
Sam Dennis Bradley
Sam Dennis Bradley, Technician
You need to replace the main board if you will send me your tvs model number I'll try to help find it and send you the link
I just replaced the main board on Sunday.
Oh ok did it come with a ir senser?
No, the board was a main board BN94-08076A/ BN97-09081A for Samsung Model UN55HU6840F.
Ok you may need a ir board
Could it be just three ir board and not the main board? Can you get me a part number for the ir board?
Sorry I don't have the part number but when you type in your model number on ebay put ir senser after it and it will take you to the part but yes it could have been just the sensor couseing the problem
Thanks for the help.
Your welcome
If you can send me a rateing I would appreciate it