TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Toshiba50L1400U and the screen is flashing on and…

I have a Toshiba50L1400U...

I have a Toshiba50L1400U and the screen is flashing on and off. Is this something that can be fixed?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

I gave you the model # above. I bought it in 2014

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I don't use any sources. Just watch tv

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your? What happened right before this?

It just started out of no where

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No...just mainly if it is repairable and/or worth it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you still there?

Have you tried anything yet? like unplugging the tv POWER cord for 3 minutes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I unplugged for 1 minute

Good enough. Can you tell me about your electronics experience? For example:

-none/very little

-comfortable setting up tv, source devices, sound systems

-proficient with testing/repair

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
its not the cable as the tv in other room is fine. I am somewhat comfortable if I am talked through process
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello?

Since unplugging didn't help- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires complex diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. In this case, I would suggest you use local repair shop but in home repairs start at $275 on this model and most shops charge just for diagnosis. So you really should compare that to prices of new 50" tv's.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Maybe you're thinking- "It wasn't worth it"... Well in fact, for years I worked for a repair shop that still charges $120 up front for an in home diagnosis. So by using this service you actually saved a ton of time and money.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
New 50" are around $299. Shouldn't tvs work more than 3.5 years?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
u still there?

Correct. New tv's are very inexpensive. Labor to fix tv's is not.

How long a tv works is very hit or miss. Best suggestion is to get the extended warranty, it is worth it.

Did you get the message I just posted?

I do want you to be satisfied, so do you need something more?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As a repair technician is there a brand you would suggest that is dependable and has no bells and whistles. Its for my 88 year old mom that watches tv all the time. I don't need to spend $ on a high end name.

Brand is not important. What is important is buying the tv at a big store like Best Buy and getting the extended warranty.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You suggest Best Buy over Costco?

Either one of those is fine.

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician