TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

When try to turn on press the on button the blue light will…

Customer Question
When try to turn...

When try to turn on press the on button the blue light will light stay on maybe 3 second then off it goes try again and maybe after 20 or 50 times tv might come on

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

RCA 46la 45r about 10 or12 years

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No nothing work on the tv because of the light

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your 46LA? What happened right before this?

Lighting had hit it but tv man came put new parts on it and it work for 2 or 3 years then started acting up

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
3/7/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 3 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Simply view my reply and try those steps to proceed.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $46:

https://www.ebay.com/i/361405383396?chn=ps

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, and this TV can be replaced for that same cost if you went with another RCA. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

did it twice
That's bad news I'm afraid and does indicate a hardware failure. Please see my answer posted just above for the diagnosis.
It's not considered cost effective to repair this set again considering it can be replaced for the same cost. Other than that, do you need further assistance with this?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Have order power supply ,thanks for your help

It's not the power supply- it's the Mainboard I linked to above.

Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?