TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Trying to hook up my stereo. JVC. I trying to understand…

Trying to hook up...

Trying to hook up my stereo

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your speaker or sound system?

JVC

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your JVC system?

I trying to understand what cords to plug in and what settings on the systems

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

I

3/7/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the model number of the jvc? Are you trying to just set up a new system? Or to connect it to some other device?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
JVC DVD receiver model no xv-thd60. System no th-d60

Thank you for the information,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No we can work it out here ty

There actually isn't much to set up here, it is a relatively self contained system.

The main unit, the receiver/amplifier, connects to power of course, and all of the speaker cables connect to the labeled ports on the back such as front left, front right, surround, center, etc.

Then a hdmi cable from the Monitor Out port on the JVC to your tv.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where on the TV do I connect the HDMI other end

Any open hdmi port,

such as hdmi1, hdmd2, etc. It doesn't matter which, just keep track of which you choose,

then take the tv remote, press the source/input button, and choose the corresponding input where you connected the jvc.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The other end at this time is connected in the back to HDMI 1 in (DVI)

Thats fine, then to watch a dvd through the jvc, you'd set the tv to the hdmi1 input

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We don't want to watch any DVDs just TV through stereo
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have a Chromecast in the HDMI port also

Okay for that you'll also need another connection from the tv,

so an optical (fiber optic) cord from the tvs Digital Audio Out port to the digital input on the jvc, that is how you will get chromecast sound.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now I removed all the other and the only connections are the Chromecast in HDMI and the audio optical out on the TV to the digital in optical video 2 port

Correct, so you'd then set the jvc to that video2 input mode,

the tv to your chromecast input,

and the chrome sound should come through the jvc speakers

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not hearing any sound what did I do wrong. Does TV need to be switched to external speaker

Yes you may need to change to external,

and may also need to change a tv setting, for audio output/format, to pcm/stereo

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did those and that didn't work. Do I leave on those settings or change them back

Leave those still,

are you sure you have the jvc on the right input setting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
on video 2

press the setting button on the jvc remote,

then watch on screen , and press the down until you get to A. In 2

then over to Opt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pushing setting does Ain:2ch

You're on the right track, press setting again to get to A in 2

and then use the arrow buttons to get to A In 2 OPT (not 2ch)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok setting now says ain2opt but no sound

Do you have something else you can bring up on the tv besides the chromecast, such as cable/satellite/dvd?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The sources say cable hdmi3 Chromecast

That is on the tv,

but I'm asking if you have anything else you can test here on this tv, like a cable/satellite box or dvd player?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have an older DVD player also a Samsung dvd VCR combo
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I send you pictures of the back of the receiver and the tv

Yes that would be fine

Okay could you try something else for me - hook a hdmi cable from the monitor out on the jvc, to the hdmi1 on the tv,

then plug the chromecast into the video in hdmi port on the back of the jvc (chrome still needs the usb/power cord it should already have connected)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok that is done do I remove optical cable and what settings. It says no no cable connected on my tv

You can leave it there for now,

you need to change the tv to hdmi1 input mode now,

and the jvc to the video1 input

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok what do I do next
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did I disconnect the optical cable

You can leave the optical, it doesn't matter for now.

Set the inputs I mentioned, and then see if you can watch something on the chromecast

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Chromecast works fine. No sound

So with the changed connections I mentioned, you see the chrome picture, but no sound,

Can you put the jvc on the fm tuner mode (you need the antenna connected) and see if you can hear any radio stations that way?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The stereo works perfectly through the speakers lol

Do you know which model chromecast you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I know that

It should have a model number printed on it,

or you can describe it to me, there are only a few versions. Is it square? Round?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is round and the model number m:nc2-6a5 us

Thank you for confirming,

there is actually a compatibility issue here,

that jvc system is a very old and very basic model, and doesn't support hdmi audio, or most of the current audio formats, so to be frank this probably is just not going to work at all with the chromecast.

One more thing to try though,

put the connections back how they were before (chromecast to tv hdmi, optical from tv to jvc), and then try to go into the chromecast settings and see if you can choose a pcm/stereo option there too (again set jvc to the vid2 input)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Chromecast is in back of TV HDMI 1 to do you want other HDMI cable used also. Optical cable is in same place how do I go in to Chromecast settings

Just keep the optical, hdmi not needed, but it won't hurt anything either.

You should have some settings within the chromecast app that you'd access from your phone/tablet.

If that option isn't there, or doesn't help, then you'd need to consider buying a different streaming device, or upgrading to a newer stereo system.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are no options for switching sound on the Chromecast just volume

The older model had an option for that, apparently this one doesn't.

So it this point, you're looking at either buying a newer/better stereo system that is going to be compatible, or replacing the chromecast with a more capable device such as a roku or fire tv or appletv

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well thanks for the help. Don t know if we are any better off but off to the store we go

You're very welcome, and my apologies for the news.

If you;d like help finding a different sound system instead, I can give some recommendations for that as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure absolutely can I use my existing speakers that I have in place

Some of them, yes, but they really aren't an ideal fit for a newer receiver.

If you wanted to go with a basic system I'd just get a soundbar.

If you want a full scale surround system, then you need to buy an av receiver, like this: http://amzn.to/2FANGTC

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok well ty Nathan you were a big help

You are very welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer