TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My tv won't connect to chromecast nor hdmi. Just that it…

Customer Question
Second opinion] my tv...

Second opinion] my tv won't connect to chromecast nor hdmi

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages when you try to connect to Chromecast?

Just that it isn't reading it

Technician's Assistant: How is your internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?

Yes

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 month ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent support, pay per question website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help but need the following info to troubleshoot the problem
- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of the TV?

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to the TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The TV i'm trying to connect the Chromecast to is a Sanyo Dp42740. The problem does occur on all HDMI ports. I have a Cable Box connected in one hdmi port.

Thanks for the info

- Just to clarify, you get cable box picture via HDMI on the TV but ChromeCast doesn't work on any HDMI input of the TV, is this correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is correct. However, to watch TV, I don't go to a HDMI input, I go to a input called "video".

ah OK, Video input is a different one, thanks for the additioanl info

- Can you connect the ChromeCast to a different TV, if available nearby, as a test to verify the ChromeCast device?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I normally use the chromecast for my bedroom TV and it works fine.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, I was mistaken about the cable box being through a HDMI port. My father has set up a new way recently so that it no longer has to go through the HDMI port. So there is no other HDMI ports being taken up besides the chromecast.

OK, how do you provide power to ChromeCast?

Using a separate power adapter or USB port on the TV?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I used both. On my other TV, I can just use the USB port on the TV. I tried both USB port on TV and plugging it into the wall.

OK, when pushing Input button do you see both HDMI inputs listed on input source list and are you able to select them?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Both are visible. They always are no matter if something is in the port or not.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was just told by my father that the HDMI ports haven't been working recently at all, for any device.

OK, following troubleshooting step should be tried that might help

- Have you tried to disconnect TV power cord from the power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello. I unplugged the TV for 15 minutes and then replugged it in as well as the chcromecast. It still isn't showing up on the HDMI input.

Sorry to hear that and this test also confirmed it is HDMI processor chip failure mounted on Digital Mainboard, please click the following link to view the digital mainboard that needs to be replaced to resolve the problem, sorry for this news

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sanyo/dp42740

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use the following link to get a list of TV repair shops in the area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
http://www.tvrepairman.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue
I trust my input will help you out to make the decision about this TV repair or invest that money in new replacement TV
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website
Thank you

Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician