TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My hitachi tv doesn’t turn on. A red light blinks for a

My hitachi tv doesn’t...

My hitachi tv doesn’t turn on

Technician's Assistant: Is your Hitachi TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

No

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

A red light blinks for a second and shuts off

3/5/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the Hitachi and how old is it?

UT37X902 not sure what year

Thanks for the reply. It's over a year anyways, so out of warranty (which was why I asked). Offhand these symptoms point to a failure within the TV and in most cases requires repairs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

I paid 5$

The website sends that phone call offer- not me. I am not available by phone and have no dealings with those offers.

I tried twice and all that happens is a red light blinks

Does the red light blink soon as the set is plugged in? Or only after you try to turn it on?

Only after I turn it on

Okay that's bad news I'm afraid. Give me a minute to type this up please.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $80 (but is currently showing as out of stock):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/hitachi-ha02691-power-supply-unit.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Kk thx

You're welcome. Do you need further assistance with this?

No

K. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.

Aric, Technician